Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you just have to pull the tailshaft off and its inside. When I go to the parts store is it called the tranny seal?

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
the tranny rear seal...make sure to clean driveshaft yoke well......

·
Registered
435 Posts
I guess you just have to pull the tailshaft off and its inside. When I go to the parts store is it called the tranny seal?
Output shaft seal. Once you take the driveshaft off, use a hammer and a chisel to carefully remove the old seal. If you
don't have acsess to the proper install tool, a large socket
with the same diameter of the outside wall of the new seal
will work just fine. Pound on the socket squarely to get it
seated straight, or you could bend the seal and have to buy
a new one.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Those guys have it, tranny output seal. Shouldn't be too hard to replace. Just make sure the driveshaft yoke doesn't have any burrs on it before you reinstall it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
After you remove the seal, clean the surface really well with alcohol, paint thinner, brake cleaner, etc. Appl a small smear of your favorite silicone sealant to the outside of the seal. Then install as above.

Seals often leak because they wear a groove in the sealing surface. The harmonic balancer does it all the time. The drive shaft not so often because it moves. But check that. If there's a groove you can feel with your thumbnail, it will wear out the new seal fairly quickly.

Just like the balancer, you can buy a thin metal repair sleeve. Glue it on with some silicone and you'll be leak free for another 50K miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.