Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how to grease the lower ball joints on a 93'. I don't see a fitting there. And is it hard to change with no air tools? Also, if your lower ball joints were bad, how would your car handle? Thanks:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?:headscratch:

·
Registered
411 Posts
not exactly sure but i have heard that you need to get a whole new a-arm that has a good ball joint in it.. takes too much to press on in and pull the old one out

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting the old one out will be the problem unless someone has a good plan. You can put them back in by sucking them up with the impact gun. (I believe)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try that and then hope there is WiFi in the hospital after you take it out for a test-spin.
So what do I do? Mechanic shop or save money doing it myself? How do I do it properly?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
What drives you to thinking that they even need replaced?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What drives you to thinking that they even need replaced?

I went to get the car aligned like alot of you suggested. The big guy in charge/Bossman/Owner asked what made me think it needed to be aligned. When I told him he said it's either the lower ball joints need to be greased or they need to be replaced. For some odd reason, I believe him.:yup:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I went to get the car aligned like alot of you suggested. The big guy in charge/Bossman/Owner asked what made me think it needed to be aligned. When I told him he said it's either the lower ball joints need to be greased or they need to be replaced. For some odd reason, I believe him.:yup:
Ok, here's a suggestion........start the thread with this info first so people know where you are coming from and can cut to the chase of helping you instead of wasting time.
In addition, get a second opinion. Just because one person says to do something does not mean it is Gospel.
Here's the funny part about this whole thing........greasing a balljoint will not "repair" it. Greasing a balljoint only allows for the prevention of corrosion and too much friction. You have a sealed, pre-greased unit that doesn't require lubrication.
With that said, the person who told you this is suggesting that greasing it will "repair" it.
Grease it or replace it.....hmmm.
Believe what you want man.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well wtf man. It steers like s**t.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Whats this have to do with the way it steers? Thank you very much though.
We went throught this about 127 threads ago. You need to get a ront end alignment.

You now claim you need new front lower control arms. I thought I would give you a lead on some.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We went throught this about 127 threads ago. You need to get a ront end alignment.

You now claim you need new front lower control arms. I thought I would give you a lead on some.

I never said I needed front control arms, they are lower ball joints. And I brought the car to a well known alignment business and the guy wouldn't let me waist my money on an alignment until the ball joints were done. They deal with high priced, classic and new cars. Why don't you think it's the lower ball joints?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Ok here it is in a nutshell...

Yes, the ball joints can be replaced without replacing the entire control arm. They need to be pressed out and the new ones pressed in. You have neither the skill nor the tools to pull this off. No offense, just laying it out there.

If you're thinking you'll just replace the lower control arm to keep with the DIY trip, keep in mind that now you'll be removing the front coil springs. Easy to get out...not so much getting them back in. You'll need a spring compressor, patience, and a butt load of common sense. You can get hurt beyond the family first aid kit here.

With new control arms you get new bushings, not a bad thing since the ones you have now are 16 years old.

In the end, you'll still need that alignment.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know i'll need the alignment after.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
+++++ what chandler said. $400.00 for Snap On ball joint press. Bfh to seperate spindle from lower A frame. Plenty of experience pressing new ones in straight. And what ever your deductable is when you go to the ER if you try removing lower controll arm and get hit with the spring. Hay have it done at a shop and they have the tools. DONT MESS WITH THE FRONT END IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. No disrespect. Just dont want you to get hurt. PEACE TOM

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
+++++ what chandler said. $400.00 for Snap On ball joint press. Bfh to seperate spindle from lower A frame. Plenty of experience pressing new ones in straight. And what ever your deductable is when you go to the ER if you try removing lower controll arm and get hit with the spring. Hay have it done at a shop and they have the tools. DONT MESS WITH THE FRONT END IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. No disrespect. Just dont want you to get hurt. PEACE TOM

I've replaced front and rear springs before on a 91 crown vic. I can handle getting the spring off safely. Just wondering if I can do the lower ball joints myself or have a mechanic do it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've replaced front and rear springs before on a 91 crown vic. I can handle getting the spring off safely. Just wondering if I can do the lower ball joints myself or have a mechanic do it.
jack the car off the ground in the front and put a piece of board under the tire and try to wiggle it up and down (without moving the shock) if it moves then you know you have to replace the ball joints. thats the sure way of finding out. like NAVYSVO said if that guy said grease them to fix them... thats a no no!

·
Registered
960 Posts
jack the car off the ground in the front and put a piece of board under the tire and try to wiggle it up and down (without moving the shock) if it moves then you know you have to replace the ball joints. thats the sure way of finding out. like NAVYSVO said if that guy said grease them to fix them... thats a no no!
like he said but also take it and see if you can wiggle it in out from left to right.

TAKE SOME PIX MAYBE WE CAN HELP IF WE SEE THEM.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.