Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the car does start, but only when you cram starting fluid into the intake. Once all the starter fluid is gone it dies. I have spent a few days finding the fuel pump relay, under drivers seat, and replaced it. I next removed and replaced the fuel tank. I got a new fuel pump. I checked both the old one and new one. Old did not run when connected to a battery, new one did. I put it back in the car. I got it all connected and put some fuel, about 2 gallons, in it. Primed the pump by cycling the key several times without starting it. I put a small amount of starting fluid in the intake manifold. I cranked it over, it ran until the starting fluid was gone. I repeated this about 4 more times and figure the pump must be pressurized by this time. Started cranking and still no start. I disconnected the fuel rail to see if fuel was there. It was there, but did not spew everywhere as expected. It trickled out. I am at a loss and running out of time and money. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
now the battery is dying. We did not hit anything, but a friend said maybe it was the fuel shutoff. Where is this located and how can I tell if it is off?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
In the trunk. Look in the manual. Its normally on yhe drivers side quarteror or on the back pannel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks will check for it, How can I tell if it is on or off?

by the way, glad to hear you are doing well (another post)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
it was the shut off

It was the shut off. It must have been tripped when we tried bump starting it. It runs great now. Just need to weld up a new exhaust. The old one fell off about a week before pump went. Needed it running before it needs an exhaust. Will be welding one in tomorrow. Thanks for all the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts