Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Phantom 5" Autometer tach and I'm in the process of installing it. So far I've routed the green wire to the coil, and found a ground for the black wire underneath the dash.

Now comes the difficult part. I need help finding a 12v ignition power source for the red wire, and I need to find an interior light source for the white wire.

Optimally I would like to do this without removing the dashboard.

Is there any good way to do this without removing the dash? All help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I have to open up the fuse box, or do I have to unscrew it and splice a wire on the back?

I thought about using an open fuse spot on the fuse box, but I don't know how to connect the wire to the fuse box itself.

R

·
0 Posts
Do I have to open up the fuse box, or do I have to unscrew it and splice a wire on the back?

I thought about using an open fuse spot on the fuse box, but I don't know how to connect the wire to the fuse box itself.

just use an open spot or a blade connector......

no need to open the box......

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You can just pull a fuse out and connect the wire in as you put the fuse back in. You can do that for both the power wire and the light, I used the heater blower fuse for the power and the fuse that operates the exterior lighting for the tach light.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alrighty, thanks for the info. I did some research and I found these things called fuse taps. I guess they're specifically designed for aftermarket powered accessories.

They're pretty much plug and play so I should be good to go.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed everything. Hooked the red wire to a reserve spot on the fuse box, and the white wire to the A/C heater fuse spot.

When I hooked it up to the lighting, the backlight stayed on all the time. Now that I have it hooked to the A/C fuse spot, the backlight stays on only when the key is turned to the 3rd position or when.

Is the backlight supposed to be on all the time, or only when you put the lights on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.