Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to upgrade my breathing on this thing, but the maf housing is too small. is it the same as the 5.0 maf housing? i can get those anywhere, but i've been told that they are different. i don't know anyone else with a 5.0 who will let me dismantle theirs to see and i don't see the point in making it breathe better if that thing is still only 1 1/2 inches across! also, i can't find the knock sensor. i've looked at some of the other threads and they all have different pics for what i have. none of them are where mine is. i have the haynes manual and it doesn't say either. i want to play with this motor until i can swing this 351 i have my eye on. i'm just tired of having to floor it to stay the same speed up hills and watching every other car on the road outrun me. i can't even pass a hybrid thats trying to stay in front of me. i've tried. i just want a little hp but my 2.3 seems to be just a little different than every other one i've seen pics of. any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I have a 93 as well and I would advise taking the reducers out of the air silencer ( the plastic tube between the Throttle body and the air filter box, looks like a muffler). It helps with mpg, and get up. If you don't want to do that, just get some 2 1/2 inch pvc or pipe and replace that sucker. The 5.0 and the 2.3 share the same Maf but I think the housing is different in size. As for the Knock sensor, I have yet to find it on mine either...I don't think the 93 2.3 8 plug has one. But try the silencer trick, you should feel a little bit of a difference. :bigthumbsup I did.....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hello, I have a 93 as well and I would advise taking the reducers out of the air silencer ( the plastic tube between the Throttle body and the air filter box, looks like a muffler). It helps with mpg, and get up. If you don't want to do that, just get some 2 1/2 inch pvc or pipe and replace that sucker. The 5.0 and the 2.3 share the same Maf but I think the housing is different in size. As for the Knock sensor, I have yet to find it on mine either...I don't think the 93 2.3 8 plug has one. But try the silencer trick, you should feel a little bit of a difference. :bigthumbsup I did.....

i would actually take out the air silencer but i heard sometimes you have to recalibrate the computer to handle the extra air the engine is getting

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

i appreciate all the replies. the link was no good though. already removed air silencer, but don't see how it reall did much that maf housing is so damn small. i'm wondering if the housings in the mustang parts catalogs for 5.0 will accept the 2.3 sensor. i know the injectors are the same rate of 19lbs so i shouldn't have to calibrate computer. anyone done this yet? dont want to spend 100 bucks if it won't work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is the car an auto? that's one major hurdle to "power" right there...

I don't think the 93 has a knock sensor, as well, but I'm not sure. It may be due to the fact that it has the DIS (distributorless ignition) system.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes its an auto. i guess the aode just sucks balls unless you get a performance one, and even then, i know they handle less hp than i'm used to from a tranny. never drove a stick regular so i'm a bit nervous to switch. is there a perf chip out there somewhere for the 2.3? i know they pricey, but i just want a little more drivability from this thing for now. want to put a 351 in it eventually, i'm just playin til i can afford it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.