Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a 93 lx, there is a hurst short thro shifter on the car, the tranny doesnt grind or make any noises coming from it but when i try to put it into gear i have to push hard and force it, it doesnt make a grind when i do but it feels like i always have to try hard to put it into gears so i cannot slam or bang any gears, any one know why im having this problem? the guy i got the car from said the clutch was replaced 2 years ago but it catches legit right off the floor

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can try to bang it in but it will take a second cause its so hard to get it in, so bascially i can never chirp my tires cause of the lag time

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and i dont think its an aftermarket tranny, they said the car was a 4cylinder converted to an 8 but im not sure if thats true, how can i tell?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Check your shifter bolts; the ones that limit how far forward and back your shifter can move. Pull up your shifter boot and you'll see one in front and one in back (at least on most shifters)

I've heard you should adjust them by starting with them backed out so they are not in contact with the shifter lever. Put it into each one of your forward gears and set the bolt so it is just touching your lever without you pushing it against it. Do the same for 2nd 4th and reverse for the back bolt. They are really there just to limit how far your shifter can travel so you can bang it into gear without over extending the shifter.

You may also need to adjust your clutch. Do you have an aftermarket clutch quadrant?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Either by tightening at the clutch fork or if you have the original clutch quadrant, you grab your clutch pedal and pull it up and hope you get a couple of clicks out of the clutch quadrant mechanism. I have an aftermarket quadrant and a new cable. It was adjusted all the way tight on the fork side, so I bought a $1.75 steal spacer at the hardware store, took my cut off wheel and cut a slit in it length wise just barely big enough to slip it over the clutch cable. So I installed my "custom" spacer at the clutch quad, readjusted the tension at the clutch fork and now my wife loves driving it. :heha:

·
Registered
38 Posts
im not sure on how to tell really someone on here knows thou.
i do know that a 4 cyl. tranny has a smaller input shaft.
but i would take there advice
check your bumpstops
then try adjusting clutch

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.