Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before but the search isnt working for me right now so im going to go ahead and ask....i have a 93 LX 5.0 auto with 145xxx...everything works in the car except the speedometer kind of flickers around a little...i have been in alot of other 5.0s that have the speedo and the RPM guage jump around and not readable...mine is readable but it still bounces a little...im wondering how do i fix this before it get worse

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check this first

First check the speedo gear, but if it is just jumping slightly I don't think it is the cable or the gear though. It sounds like the Speedo itself. But don't jump on just replacing it, take it out and band the "planetary magnets" Back on the inside of the speed, they surround what the speedo cable goes into. They are not supposed to touch but they are magnets and as these cars get older they pull themselves in. I would try this before you change the gear and cable. Just don't put the whole dash back together, if that does not do it, you would have to take the dash apart to do the cable anyhow.

Just to recap, pull out the speedo gear first, as it is much less work than the whole dash. If it is not chewed up move on to the speedo, than the cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.