Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i would say hello to everybody:)!
Im new. I have owned 5 fox stangs so far, love em.
Right now we (the wife and i) have a 93 LX hatch 2.3 auto.
It her baby. Very nice! Performance white and just looks right!
Now on to the question i have about a fried CCRM, or Constant control relay module, or (what i like to call it) the relay box;).
Nice place!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can anyone lead me to the wiring schematics for the CCRM
Here are some links to pics of what fried. Im sure with the schematics i can trace the problem. Without thinking much about it i replaced one CCRM without fixing the problem and it fried it. At first the car started right up and ran great. I let it run for about ten minutes then shut it off. When i went to start it again it did the same thing. Smoked the relay box. Never had a single problem with this car in three years:yelpleased:.
And when it did break, it did it in the driveway:bigthumbsup

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww219/stang93/Stuff/GEDC0082-2.jpg
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww219/stang93/Stuff/GEDC0084-1.jpg

Thank you very much for any links to wiring schematics or help with the problem.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T/Y for the link:bigthumbsup.The more the marry,er. I got the problem figured out now, after the second IRCM. For some reason my post,s sre slllloooooowwww here and my pics didnt show, nor the FULL post for that matter.
The relay for the fuel pump keeps burning up! Direct short some were.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ahh, heres the pics..You can see were the fuel pump circuit fried to the relay.

The back side is in this pic.

Here it is mounted in the car

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Ok now i understand what you are talking about?? This is easy the pump is drawing to much current or their is a short somewhere. But here is the problem!!! You cant keep on putting IRCM controll modules in their untill you find the trouble?? So Trace out the lead that fried that part of the printed board's foil and verify the pin location. You said it was the fuel pump?? If so what pin does the foil feed on the connector?? Once you establish this its the device that the relay controlls!! Does the fuel pump run with the ALDL connector test terminal?? If not disconnect the INERTIA switch in the trunk and with a 12 volt test light connected to the + side of the battery(IRCM CONNECTOY DISCONNECTED FROM UNIT) check for a ground in the wiring to the pump. If the light lights their is your problem. You have a ground in the wiring to the PUMP. If no light either the pump is shot or the wiring to it is grounded?? Good luck Tom.

NOTE you can use a seperate relay for the fuel pump and save the expense of a complete IRCM purchase. Just use a BOSCH 5 prong relay and connector pigtail and wire it IN!!

OK its pin# 5 that feeds the FP. It looks like the FP battery feed pin if memory serves ME. Hard to tell from your PHOTO. Tell me the PIN # that is FRIED:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info Tom:bigthumbsup! Its pins 5 and 24.
I think once i figure out the short or ground issue,
a like the idea of pigtailing a relay in:winks.
Isnt there a fuse some were to prevent this from happening?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Actually its a FUSE LINK! And you bring up a very good question. In all the years i have been working on fords i never have seen a link open because of a defective PUMP or grounded pump!!! You are correct on this point and i never really thought about it untill you mentioned it!! If you pick up a relay and relay plug with pigtails you can install a seperate relay for the PUMP. I actually hook my pumps up to the battery in the trunk and use the factory lead to energize the relay and transfer the heavy current to the pump through a relay mounted in the trunk. This way the voltage drop is minimal! Trunk mounted batterys are very useful for things like that Peace Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like the safest and cheapest way to fix this problem!
T/Y again for the help and info Tom!
Peace! Tater on!

Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.