Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first off, I have been visiting this site for months reading posts, but I have finally decided to join. I am 18 years old, and I have loved cars all my life, and I will have to admit that I know quite a bit about them, and I think its time to get a mustang (have been aroud them for years:dad, uncle, ect.) I currently drive a 1994 Toyota 4Runner that has 14" of lift on 38" Super Swampers, that was totally built by me and my dad in my garage, so as you can tell I am lacking speed and a Mustang is just what I want and need.

I Love the Mustang body style from 94'-98', and this is the transition stage from the 5.0 to the 4.6, so it offers some flexibility for me, and I the car also cant be too expensive becuase I'm on a limited budget, and you can often find great deals for this era of Mustang.

So, here are the questions that I have about this future mustang of mine: Should I get a Cobra or a GT, the factors in this are price, power, "being an almost daily driver", and mods. Second, (this question has been bothering me for quite some time now, should I go with the 5.0 in 94/95 or the 4.6 in 96/97. The 5.0 is cheaper to build up but the 4.6 is a newer more "modible" (if thats a word) engine.

Thats about it, sorry about the lengthy post, but I want my decision to be the right one, mostly due to the decision between the GT or a Cobra, or the 5.0 or the 4.6, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. any tips about mods to your suggested Mustang would also be greatly appreciated in order to make mine the fastest on the block:shiny:

·
Registered
145 Posts
First to answer you question....COBRA no brainer. Better resale more unique and looks way better for a SN95 IMO.

Second, what are you goals for the car? N/A, supercharger?

The 5.0's will gain you more power N/A but SN95 5.0 engines are slightly different than there Fox bodied counter parts, and since they were only made for 2 years before the 4.6 came out the aftermarket parts are not as plentiful as previous 5.0's engines.

The 4.6 basicly needs a power adder to achieve repectable HP numbers(depending on what you think is good numbers). NOS or a supercharger/turbo is the way to go with these engines. But then you have a limit amount boost/shot then you have to start getting into the engine (pistons, rods, crank). the most i would run on a stock engine is a 100- 125 shot or 8-10 #'s of boost.

So if you want to build a monster over the years i would go with a 96-98 cobra and save up for a 03 cobra bottom end with some nice pistons, and a supercharger kit.

Just think of what you want out of the car (hp wise) and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
5.0 are cheaper to build but 94-95 5.0 barely has any aftermarket parts to buy compared to 4.6 and 93 5.0 i would buy 4.6 cobra, few basic boltons and 4.10 gears will get you in 12s (and you can always add some NOS or supercharger),or a gt but superchargers are spendy($3-5000) not a cobra but it will get you in mid-low12s but thats it stock gt engine is maxin out at around 400hp

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think there are plenty of aftermarket parts for the 94-95 cobra... but it will be easier to mod a 96-98 cobra. They respond very well to blowers and they come with a lot more power than the 94-95's stock. If you do go with the 5.0 an H/C/I will really wake up the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, the h-c-i, which i am guessing is heads, cam, intake will be fine for the 94/95 Cobra, and should easily match or top the power numbers of the 96/97 cobra.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I believe an h/c/i will give a cobra around 80 hp. It would be more than a 96-98 cobra. There are plenty of companies out there that make kits for the 5.0 cobra. There is no way an h/c/i will only give you 40 hp. You can get near to that with just putting heads on the 5.0 motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
'96 Cobra owner

I have owned 8 Mustangs from 1970 Mach 1 through '01 Cobra. I liked the '97 Cobra the best. Just acquired a stock '96 Cobra Crystal White Convertible with 40K miles for a fun ride. Happy again. Like the solid rear axle. In any of these hi po cars, you have to spend some bucks (low 5 figures) to get a decent ride that hasn't been messed with. I still had to spend extra to get decent exhaust system, suspension and tires to bring car back to stock. IMO, the only Mustang to have is a Cobra, pure and simple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.