Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a few posts about timing of the camshaft sychronizer on 1998 and higher 3.8 v6's. The camshaft synchronizer on the 94-95 mustangs is slightly different than the later models.
They still reccomend using a tool to set it (picture 1 ... I call it the smiley face tool).
After finally seeing a picture of it, I used a straight edge to set it instead.
The first step is to set the crank at 26 degrees after TDC on the compression stroke of cylinder number 1. It turns out that there is a nice little notch in the damper (picture 2).
The second step is to align the inner half moon (sensor cam) at roughly 54 degrees using a protracter as shown in (picture 3).
The third step is to place a straight edge on the sensor cam, and align it to the center of the groove as shown in (picture 4).
Finally, (this is an optional step) center punch two adjacent marks, one on the synchronizer housing, and one on the timing cover (picture 5).

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
thanks

i need that so bad today thank u so much i really was about take it to the shop your a life saver

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read a few posts about timing of the camshaft sychronizer on 1998 and higher 3.8 v6's. The camshaft synchronizer on the 94-95 mustangs is slightly different than the later models.
They still reccomend using a tool to set it (picture 1 ... I call it the smiley face tool).
After finally seeing a picture of it, I used a straight edge to set it instead.
The first step is to set the crank at 26 degrees after TDC on the compression stroke of cylinder number 1. It turns out that there is a nice little notch in the damper (picture 2).
The second step is to align the inner half moon (sensor cam) at roughly 54 degrees using a protracter as shown in (picture 3).
The third step is to place a straight edge on the sensor cam, and align it to the center of the groove as shown in (picture 4).
Finally, (this is an optional step) center punch two adjacent marks, one on the synchronizer housing, and one on the timing cover (picture 5).
pic with the half moon... the half moon is on the wrong side look at the tool if you put the tool on top the moon will be on the other side. i took my to the for dealer they had the tool they put the tool on my and line it up for me and marked it.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Pretty ridiculous the only purpose of this "tool" is to give you an arrow to look at vs the half moon. I Googled a pic and used an imaginary tool when I set mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, my brother in law just changed my camshaft position sensor without taking the old one off at top dead center now my fuel system seems to be out of time with the engine. It won't even start anymore. It ran smoothly before when it was cool (stoped on me after it warmed up the other day). Changed it bc I got a po340 code along with a po402. Can I reset the synchronizer or is it too late.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Hi guys, my brother in law just changed my camshaft position sensor without taking the old one off at top dead center now my fuel system seems to be out of time with the engine. It won't even start anymore. It ran smoothly before when it was cool (stoped on me after it warmed up the other day). Changed it bc I got a po340 code along with a po402. Can I reset the synchronizer or is it too late.
You need to start the whole procedure at step #1 that is given in the first post. You need to re-lineup all the marks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks a lot B1, I really appreciate it! I have a 94 mustang by the way. I was afraid I may not recover from this. I will get on the job. :bigthumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts