Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be back in the states for R&R in a week! I also plan on working on my 1994 conv auto 5.0.
Last time I drove it, I found something to be terrably wrong. I would hit the gas from a stop and accelerate very slowly. As the rpms rise they rise quicker and quicker but the car just slowly moves ahead like a battleship. I get the rpms to almost red and the car is barely accelerating.
I didnt really check much on the car but since I have been gone, my folks back home took it to Ford to get it checked. Ford told them it was the fuel filter. So my folks replaced that, but could that really be the culprit?
I think theres more to it and am going to look into it when I get back home. Keep in mind that this car has 110,000+ miles on it.
So any ideas or anyone with a similiar issue/fix?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i recently had a similar problem where my 1994 mustang gt conv would not get out of its own way i found the mass airflow sensor to be faulty and upon replacing it all power was restored

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
IAC and EGR you can pull off and clean with carb cleaner. Personally, I wouldn't mess with the EGR right off the bat because it can be a PITA to get it disconnected from the tube and it should throw a code if it is messing up. If you have the code, then it may be worth trying to clean it, but I would put that off for now. The IAC is pretty easy to take off and clean so I would spray that down and make sure it is good to go.

You need a T20 (??) Security Torx bit to remove the MAF from its housing. Looks just like a regular Torx, but the security screws have a little nipple thing right in the middle of them. The correct bit will have a corresponding hole in it that the little nipple thing fits into. It is possible, if you are determined to do it, to take a small punch or awl and knock that little nipple out of the head of the Torx screw that holds the MAF in the housing.

Whatever way you decide, you need to get the MAF out of the housing. You will see that it has two little wires. They should be white.

You can get MAF cleaner at the parts store. Like 7 or 8 bucks a can. You can use non-chlorinated cleaner, but IMHO the MAF cleaner seems to work better. You can actually see it chew the crud off of the wires when you spray it on there, which I have not seen happen with regular old non-chlorinated parts cleaner. That's just my personal observation, completely unsupported by any experiment or anything, but it is what I have found...

Anyhow, just soak the heck out of the two little wires. Let it dry. Don't break the wires. They can be fragile. If needed, you can take a Q-tip and scrub the wires a bit (be careful not to break the wires), but I have never had to do this when using the MAF cleaner. Once the little wires are all white and new looking, reassemble everything and take it for a cruise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts