Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing a 94 base v6/5 speed mustang. I test drove it today and the only mechanical problem I noticed was that when you put it into reverse, there's a knocking noise right below the center console and the shifter kind of jerks in unison with the knocking noises. The noise is steady and increases in frequency with speed. Could you guys help me figure out how to fix this and how much it might cost if I was to fix it myself?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
its a 5 speed.. theres no torque converter

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing a 94 base v6/5 speed mustang. I test drove it today and the only mechanical problem I noticed was that when you put it into reverse, there's a knocking noise right below the center console and the shifter kind of jerks in unison with the knocking noises. The noise is steady and increases in frequency with speed. Could you guys help me figure out how to fix this and how much it might cost if I was to fix it myself?
Does the shifter move up and down? It is possible that the transmision mount is busted causing the driveline to bind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wouldn't the above also affect the forward gears as well? the knocking only happens in reverse? I too was thinking u joints and the trans mount, but wouldn't that effect all gears?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.