Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 Convertible that came with a 2.3L and a 5speed trans, and when I bought the car it had a factory 87-93 GT body kit installed on it. This prompted my interest in making the car as fast as it looks, so I started looking for an engine to put in it. I ran across a good deal on a 1993 F250 351W motor, with all of the injectors, sensors, etc still on it, so I bought it. While seeking a T5 for this motor., I ran across another good deal on a complete drive train from a "gently totalled" 1994 GT. I now have the 5.0, T5, 5-lug rear with disc brakes, as well as the engine harness and complete body harness from the '94. Also, I have the entire front subframe from that car as well. I have a (foxbody) tubular K-member, tubular A-arms, and coilovers that I will be using, as well as strut- and shock-tower braces.
My intention is to use the 5-lug rear and 5-lug front spindles, but I have heard that the '94 spindles won't fit properly on the 87-93 tubular A-arms. I was also told that the '94 rear is 3/4" wider on each side than the stock axle, but that will be fine.
Hopefully this is enough info to help answer my next few questions.....

Do I need to swap out the entire body harness? Will it make things easier for the motor swap if I do?

Will the ECU from the 1993 F250 engine work with the '94 GT engine? (By the way, the car MUST remain injected, so all you carb nuts that are gonna suggest swapping over to a carb to simplify the swap, fuhget about it) Also, I intend to rebuild and possibly stroke the 351W for this car later, so can this ECU be reprogrammed for the initial build and then reprogrammed later for the future build?

Is there anything that I may not have thought about that might sneak up on me during this swap?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input. ALL advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
wow you got your work cut out for you. i did the same swap about 5 years ago but with a 95 gt running gear. i reused my body harnes from the 4 cyl. just had to change some pin outs and run some new wires. i was not that bad. i am not shure on the ecu for the 351 working to control the 5.0. i do know the 94 steering knuckles will not work with fox control arms. good luck with the swap

·
Registered
18 Posts
i used all data at work and printed all the wire diagrams. i can see if i can load them to my thumb drive that way i can send it to in a e mail. just give me some time crazy busy at work

1 - 4 of 4 Posts