Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post and I’m posting because I’m in the market for a Mustang. I have 2 that I have my eyes on, one is a 96 stock Cobra with 82,000 miles it just needs a clutch but it’s in amazing condition. The other is a 94 GT 5.0 that has been built. The guy selling it only knows what has been done an he has the paperwork but he’s clueless. Anyway please read below and tell me what you think about the build, guesstimated HP/TQ numbers please.

30k miles on SBF 306ci bored .030 over
Speed Pro Pistons
Eagle connecting rods
24lbs injectors
Anderson PMS full engine tuner
bbk shorty headers
Holley System max Heads
1.7 roller rockers
2.02 exhaust
1.8 intake valve
Holley System max Cam
Holley System max Upper and lower intakes
70mm throttle body spacer
Trickflow throttle body
bbk CAI
BBK Calibrated MAF sensor
Custom Tune from Motorvation in tennessee
MSD 6AL box
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
AOD-E Transmission
3000 rpm stall converter
Strange Coils
Strange Struts and shocks
BBK Subframe connectors
3.73 rear end gearing

·
Registered
1996 Mustang Cobra Laser Red
60 Posts
I just picked up a 96 Cobra in excellent condition. I’m the third owner. First owner kept it stock. Second owner put twin BBK 65mm throttle body, BBK long tube headers, deleted the cats, Flowmaster exhaust, short throw shifter, cold air and this thing runs awesome! It’s incredibly fun to drive. I had an 03 GT I added a BBK 78mm throttle body, Flowmaster cat back exhaust, cold air, short throw shifter and it doesn’t even come close to the power n speed I’ve got in the Cobra. Also bare in mind that Cobra comes with the 4valve per cylinder engine giving it 45 more HP over the GT alone. The seats in the Cobra are much more comfortable and the Mach 460 speakers that are in the Cobra sound amazing when paired with a good head unit.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I think the Holley Top End kit (heads, cam, & intake) usually makes somewhere around 250-270 horsepower at the wheels which is in the ballpark of 300 horsepower give or take at the motor. The Holley heads aren’t the greatest, they’ve been known to cause oil consumption. Why is the guy selling a fairly new build? There are a few parts on there that aren’t necessary. Like the adjustable fuel regulator. The tune takes care of the fuel pressure. The Systemax intake manifold is geared more towards higher revving motors like above 6k rpm and I’m not sure that the auto transmission will let you take advantage of that.
I’m partial to the 94/95’s (since I have one) but they’re pretty good cars. There’s a decent aftermarket for them. They use the same suspension and chassis stuff as the ‘96-04 mustangs (except the ‘03/‘04 cobra’s that had independent rear suspension) and they use the same motor parts as the 87-93’s. There aren’t very many power making mods for the 4.6 motors. There are bolt-on stuff which add little to no gain, there are cams that add a little, and there are superchargers and turbos that add a lot but they are pretty expensive, $4k+.
Go drive both. See which you like the best. Is this a daily driver or a toy? I had 3.73 gears in my ‘95 for a few years and it grew tiresome. Mines a five speed though.
How are you going to test drive the ‘96 if it needs a clutch? You’re probably looking at $500 or so for a clutch job if you get a cheap one.
If you were to race both cars it would probably be a close race.
How many miles are on the ‘94? Suspension parts are ware items and will need replacing. They’re likely close to be needing replaced on the 96 as well. Same with brakes. The ‘96 comes stock with larger calipers than the 94.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hard to really tell. Id say 90lxwhite is pretty close to the number. Injectors are always worrisome (to me) 24's really only support 300crank hp at stock mustang psi at a higher duty cycle than im comfortable with. Lots of people run it like this but just be aware at full throttle and stock fuel pressure theyre probably in the upper 80s for duty cycle. He does have an adjustable FPR so maybe thats how he's compensating.

The big thing for me is how does the car start, run, idle etc. If you want it to be turn key and just go that probably should be number one on your list. No surging at idle means the MAF curve and fueling is pretty well dialed in and the car should have decent manners

Reactions: 90lxwhite

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would probably drive it 2-3 times a week. I honestly just want something loud, and fast. I’m good with mechanics and can do about anything Really as long as I research a bit. The cobra comes with the clutch kit(not sure which one) and I was quoted about 600 to get it installed not counting towing it there. It’s just a super clean car and I would install a supercharger on it, probably a Kenne Bell. The reason I am interested in the GT is because of the forged internals and valve train upgrades. But I thought that it would push closer to 350(isn’t that full holly kit a 350 hp kit) I read that somewhere. I assumed it would be a good candidate for a SC kit as well. I’m really interested in hitting 400-500 at the wheels. When all is said and done

The 94 has 175,000 miles but the motor has 35000 and the suspension is newer aftermarket listed in the specs above. The guy is selling because of having a baby. I don’t need the car to be necessarily turn key as long as there’s no major issues I just don’t want to pull a motor and rebuild it Right now.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Hard to really tell. Id say 90lxwhite is pretty close to the number. Injectors are always worrisome (to me) 24's really only support 300crank hp at stock mustang psi at a higher duty cycle than im comfortable with. Lots of people run it like this but just be aware at full throttle and stock fuel pressure theyre probably in the upper 80s for duty cycle. He does have an adjustable FPR so maybe thats how he's compensating.

The big thing for me is how does the car start, run, idle etc. If you want it to be turn key and just go that probably should be number one on your list. No surging at idle means the MAF curve and fueling is pretty well dialed in and the car should have decent manners
When companies quote horsepower figures there talking about a motor on a stand with open headers and no accessories so the figures are always high. If you’re looking at superchargers I think I’d look at a centrifugal type. It’ll be cheaper (probably) and there will be less traction issues. I have a Vortech kit on my ‘95 (centrifugal) and “boost” comes on at around 3k rpm and I still have traction issues. Hood clearance is another issue you might have to look into with the Kenne Bell. You’ll want a strong clutch with a blower as well. My new oem replacement didn’t last all that long after the supercharger. I wouldn’t sweat the 24 lb injectors too much and the duty cycle. It’s not like you’ll be going wide open throttle everywhere you go. But if you get a supercharger you’ll need “larger” ones as well as a “larger” fuel pump unless the kit comes with a secondary inline pump or a “boost a pump.” With the 302 5.0 the sky’s the limit. With the 4.6 the limit’s the sky. There just aren’t that many aftermarket parts. However, the stock 302 block is good to “only” around 500 horse they say.
Mustangs are cool, but if you want to go faster for cheaper start with a Chevy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you think the GT would respond to a SC? I love the Cobra and the only thing that has me looking at the GT is the build. Over $10,000 in upgrades and I can probably get the car for 5k.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
How do you think the GT would respond to a SC? I love the Cobra and the only thing that has me looking at the GT is the build. Over $10,000 in upgrades and I can probably get the car for 5k.
It’d be bad to the bone. My ‘95 with a 306, aftermarket cam, stock heads, stock upper intake manifold with potted lower and a 6-8 psi supercharger kit made 334 at the wheels.
With 6-8 psi that ‘94 will be at 400 or over at the wheels. Mine was 223 n/a. You’ll need the supporting fuel upgrades and a new tune. You’ll also want some beefy rear control arms and possibly panhard bar. Mine will do a burnout through 3rd gear if I dump the clutch at 3k or so and go WOT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts