Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a '94 GT that had a (poorly installed) Viper alarm system. In the process of putting the factory harness back together, I found the male connector for the ignition switch connector has a broken clip and the white/pink wire (NSS, I believe) won't stay put.

I've been searching online for hours, and cannot find a listing for the ignition switch connector for a '94.

Any number of sources indicate that Motorcraft part no. WPT-577 fits '95 and newer (and dozens of other Ford vehicles from the early '90s and onward) and LOOKS identical to what's in my car:

Amazon.com: Motorcraft WPT577 Ignition Switch Connector: Automotive

Does anyone know if this will work? Is there something different in '94 vs. '95+?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, although I don't think either of them have what I need.

I do plan on buying stuff from Waytek to make some new battery cables and ground cables, though.:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had another thought about this:

If the part number for the ignition switch itself in 1994 and 1995 is the same, wouldn't it stand to reason that the same connector should work for both years?

It seems like if the switch is the same, the only reason the connector would be different is if the pin-out is different in the two years (which wouldn't make any sense).

Does that seem like sound logic?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If anyone is interested, the newer Motorcraft part did work, with slight modification.

Some of leads on the replacement pigtail were wired with 12 guage wire, compared to the corresponding wires in the original harness being 14 gauge.

Since I wasn't too concerned about splicing in larger gauge wires (less resistance), I just used some step-down wire connectors to mate the replacement pigtail to the original harness.

But, nothing is ever easy, and the ignition switch itself cracked as I was putting everything back together. I assume the plastic was brittle from the Florida heat, and now the (unbelievable...never ending) Michigan cold. Oh well, at least that's a cheap, easy fix.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Yeah, those plastic parts don't like this cold at all. I sometimes use zip-ties to hold plugs together where the retainer clip broke.

When manufacturers change a part to include larger wiring, it's for good reason. I remember replacing a fuel pump on a 2004 Silverado: The new pump came with a new wiring harness to install. It had larger wires, and a warning that they would not honor the warranty if the old wiring was used. Thinner wire, more resistance, more amps, shorter part life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts