Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My mom's Mustang is on the fritz. The serpentine belt (drive belt) started making a loud noise yesterday.

It's not a whining noise, as if something was loose. Its more akin to a rubbing sound, perhaps a windy-like roar?

Here's what I know for sure.
1) The belt has some cracking in it. (Best seen at areas where the belt is fully stretched on the backside of a pully wheel)
2) The air compressor is bad. (We've been told)

So, as a means of eliminating this problem I'm thinking my first course of action is to replace the belt. If the noise is still present, I could then get either a bypass pulley or a remanufactured compressor (perhaps the compressor is locking up) off of ebay.

What are the symptoms of an a/c compressor locking up on you?

Thanks,
monkbonk (1st post)

·
Registered
373 Posts
the compressor is likely the source of the problem. they are not cheap, id check ebay for a reman. if you dont have emissions where you live, then eliminate the smog system and install a dead pulley, check ebay for that, they should be around 65bucks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
infact i still have my smog pump from my 89gt sitting in the garage. if this model works on your car, its yours if you pay shipping. it worked when i took it off. if interested check shipping from 17055.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet. Thanks for the offer.

Do I need a smog pump? I'm pretty new at automotive work, especially on this type of car.

I got a video of the car running. I'm starting to lean in a different direction now though. It sounds like the noise is coming directly from the alternator (if that's what this is). :scratchchin

100_9427.flv video by chicorunsfunny - Photobucket

Hosted it on photobucket. Also, something that seemed to come out in the video (something I didn't notice myself) was a slight popping noise. So, a new set of spark plugs may be in order.

The video may sound a little tin-ish, but that's due to my camera. I believe that the noise is strongest when the car is initially cranked. Then it dials down a notch or two in intensity.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
im pretty sure v6's dont have smog pumps so thats not something youd have to worry about

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
im pretty sure v6's dont have smog pumps so thats not something youd have to worry about
+1 And if the belt is squealing - it's time to replace. It squeals because it's actually old and stretched, so it's slipping over the pulleys which creates a rubber sliding on metal noise. :shigrin

Deal with that first, then see if you have another problem. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
some of the older 3.8's, '00 and down, are equipped with smog pumps.

OP:
your belt is toast. start with that, if you still hear a noise, then deal with your smog pump.

either way, that belt needs to go.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
ah well thatll be why i thought v6's didnt have them lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.