Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, so today i got in my Mustang for a drive and i started the car no problem. Got to the store and went to take out the key in the ignition. It wasn't there. It was sitting next to me yet i had started my car and drove it just fine. What in the heck is wrong with my car? i talked to a bud of mine and he said that can happen with ford ignitions but thats big news to me seeing as my car is convertible and someone can just jump in and start her up and go. I assume replacing the ignition assembly will fix it for a bit and then just wear out again. Is there a permenent fix for this?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If the key just fell out, then you will need a new ignition cylinder (and matching key). However, if you put the key in and it turns sloppily and you can't start the car -- then your "actuator assembly" (what Ford calls it) is broken. If you put the key in, it turns like normal all the way to "start" position and then springs back to the "run" position but doesn't start they car -- then your ignition switch is broken.
Give feedback on which scenario applies to you and we can help ya fix it! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the key will start it fine, but its weird because after i start the car with the key i can pull the key out and still drive it. Also if the plastic ignition peice is left at a certain area when i take the key out after turn ing the car off, I can just rotate the plastic ignition peice and start the car and drive it. so basically i dont need the key to drive the car in some conditions.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Sounds like it's your ignition cylinder... I'm still a little unsure of what exactly it is. How about if you remove all the plastic parts around your steering column so you can see what's going on. Your lock/ignition cylinder is at the top: when you turn it, it should push a plastic linkage that goes down through column; this linkage pushes a post on the ignition switch at the base of your column to operate your car. See the attached pictures...
If you open it up and see that all this works, then it's your ignition cylinder. Somehow, it's not able to tell if there's actually a key in it or not... (not very secure).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
On a side note: does anyone know how to replace that plastic linkage (Ford calls it an "ignition actuator")? My dowel pin broke/fell out, so now I have to manually operate my ignition switch. :yelwacko: I have the top piece of the linkage (with dowel pin pressed in), I just don't know how to get in there to replace it:?::?::?:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.