Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a stock 1994 mustang v6 3.8l coupe 5 speed. I blew the head gasket on it and so I have decided to just replace the whole engine with a remanufatred engine, the old engine had 180K miles on it. I don't know that much about cars so i was just wondering what would be the most reliable/powerful engine that I could swap it with. From what i understand the engine that is in it now is a v6 3.8Litter, 232. I have about $2000 for the engine, I am looking for the most reliable engine. Should I just swap with the v6 3.8l 232? Where is the best place to order one from?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would going to the 99-00 give me more power? If I was looking for that engine what am i looking for? Is it still a 3.8l 232 but just 99-00? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The 99-04 V6 has 40 more hp than your engine did so yes it will give you added power. lol The engine is much more reliable than the 94-96 V6's are, they had head gasket problems as you found out. Go for the swap as long as you have the money.

I don't know how much work would have to go into putting a 4.0L SOHC into the SN95 chassis but it probably would not be worth it unless you got the engine for free or the labor for free.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
The 99-04 V6 has 40 more hp than your engine did so yes it will give you added power. lol The engine is much more reliable than the 94-96 V6's are, they had head gasket problems as you found out. Go for the swap as long as you have the money.

I don't know how much work would have to go into putting a 4.0L SOHC into the SN95 chassis but it probably would not be worth it unless you got the engine for free or the labor for free.
The 05+ k-members are different. You would need a complete front end unless you can fab up motor mounts.....

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I knew the k-members were different. Does that mean that you could stick the 05+ k-member into the SN95 chassis with a little work and then go from there or would you have to completely redo the front end of the SN95?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all your help, I think i am going to try to find a 99-04 complete engine. Me and my step dad are doing all the work so I will be getting all of the labor for free so I just hope I can find an engine and the accessories for about 2k. Do you have any suggestions for a place to find one?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Correct me if im wrong, but couldn't he use a late model 4.2L longblock out of a F-150 and just use 99-00 mustang upper and lower intakes?

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Correct me if im wrong, but couldn't he use a late model 4.2L longblock out of a F-150 and just use 99-00 mustang upper and lower intakes?
Yes, but he was asking about a complete motor I believe..... If he gets into the '01+, he has to remove the IMRC's. Just another step digging into the motor......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.