Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Mustang GT with an automatic transmission. The transmission does have a shift chip installed by previous owner and the transmission has shifted well for the last ten years. Now, when I put the vehicle in reverse, I can feel the transmission shift into reverse, however the vehicle will not move. The forward gears appear to be ok, at least driving through the neighborhood up to 30 mph. Fluid level is good and fluid is clear. Are there any fixes I can try short of rebuilding the transmission?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, upon further review, the problem is not with the transmission, but with the differential. I recently replaced bearings and seals in the rear end and the car ran fine for 5 days (100 miles). Now the rear end is locking up in the reverse mode. The only thing I can think of is the pinion and ring gears are locking up in the reverse mode. I jacked the rear end up and rotated the wheels back and forth until it broke free and the wheels would turn in reverse. Car now moves in reverse. Previously when I torqued the pinion shaft nut I was at 25 in-lbs of preload at 132 ft-lbs of torque on the nut. Maybe I did not crush the crush sleeve (spec calls for 140 ft-lbs)? All the other numbers were good, preload after installing differential and shims (50 in-lbs), gear backlash (0.010), ring gear runout (.003), and gear contact pattern. I must have screwed something up. Any suggestions? Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts