Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so heres the story. i have a 1994 mustang gt convertible. it has a complete aftermarket exhaust system. 5-speed transmission. my delema is that it wont start when its hot and sometimes will die unexpectedly after its warmed up. then it has to sit for a while before it will start. sometimes ten minutes, sometimes three or four hours.
i have replaced EVERYTHING. i have replaced the ignition module 3times. i have replaced the ignithion coil. i have replaced the distributor twice and tried multiple caps and rotors. i finally bit the bullet and replaced the ECM and its still dying. this is my everyday car so i am totally placing my next move in one of your hands. im totally clueless. all i know is that i need it to run because i am a very busy highschool kid with lots going on so i need some fast help.

Thanks a million.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
When it dies, is it a sputtering or just instant?

Its probably the CCRM, but need more info first.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been known to do both. What is the ccrm

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Constant Control Relay Module

Houses the ECM relay, Fuel Pump relay, Low and High speed fan relays and the AC cutoff relay.

With all you have replaced, that's probably the culprit. Or possibly the ignition switch. Being an intermittent problem makes it a pain to know the exact cause.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. Where's the CCRM at?

My dad, who's a ford man doesn't think the ignition switch is the problem. However at this point I'm not above trying it lol

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No not the fuel pump. That was the first thing I thought. I checked the pressure and tried fuel treatment. It's just completely losing spark

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would also like to add that i know its not fuel, its spark. its not getting fire. and its also not setting any codes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 1994 with a 1991 thunderbird 5.0L HO in it and it is doing the exact same problem. Checked fuel and spark and it is spark. Just bought car 2 weeks ago. Cold motor runs great and when it warms up to normal operating temp all it wants to do is just die unless I keep my foot in the gas. Not a spit sputter die just die Tack goes all the way to zero. Not trying to replace everything in electrical system but trouble shoot first. Not daily driver. Sorry knappster94

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have you tried the Pick up coil inside the distributor some people told me that if it starts going bad it will do that problem. I am just waiting on payday to replace mine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have tried that... twice lol. also the ignition module and coil.. multiple times. after working on it last night i also found out when it loses spark it also loses power to the injector harness. im a young kid but i know quite a bit about mustangs and i am totally bum-fuzzled.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mine is also somewhat like yours in that if i keep the rpms above 2000 it wont try to die

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Like I said, its probably the CCRM. When you don't have spark, and the injectors don't power up, that's normally the cause.

Give me a few minutes and ill tell you what to test when the car shuts off again.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does your ccrm have a bolt on it keeping it firmly in there? And I also want to make sure I'm pulli g the right part off, it's the ome mounted on the radiator overflow right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes that is the right part but I am not sure how to take it off my self. It has a bolt looking thing on it but it also looks like an adjustment nut so I am not sure.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok time for an update. Last night we had our guy at O'rylies hook us up with lots of new parts. After we got the car warmed up we started swapping parts. After put in a new disrtibutor it's ran fine ever since. I guess I got two bad ones in a row. I don't trust it yet though

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope. Just did that a week ago lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.