Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 mustang gt runs at a high temp. Is it normal for it to run on "A" to "L" on NORMAL on the temp gauge??? PLEASE HELP ME... I also have a 160 thermostat

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
My 94 mustang gt runs at a high temp. Is it normal for it to run on "A" to "L" on NORMAL on the temp gauge??? PLEASE HELP ME... I also have a 160 thermostat
That gauge reading is definitely not normal (it's ~220*F) but it won't harm the engine either. Under what conditions does the engine run that hot? Highway only? Around town only? All the time?
Answering those questions will help the problem diagnosis.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It is not normal to run that high but the stock gauge is not very accurate either.

A lot of people have been writing in with cooling issues and they all have a 160 thermostat. You really shouldn't run under 180 if it is a street driving car. What happens is the thermostat opens at such a low temp that the coolent is always quickly flowing through the radiator and does not have time to cool. Redline makes something called Water Wetter that keeps things a few degrees cooler but that is like a band aid. I would change the thermostat out....

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Check to see how your fan is doing?

Also check the condition of your radiator.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Id change it to a 180. Warm the car up and carefully feel around on the radiator for cool spots that can indicate a blockage. Use a laser temp gun on the thermostat to verify the engine is running hotter than normal and the gauge is accurate then report results.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Check the body ground and clean the connector for the temp sending unit. It's a single wire 90 degree boot on the intake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
About a week ago I picked up a 94 cobra that has a bad 192 thermostat. It takes forever to warm up and it's on average about a 100 degrees outside here in Tucson. Shouldn't take that long to warm up and it normally runs on the M and the A if it's really hot outside, sometimes the L.

Sounds like you have a bad thermostat, I'm changing mine out to a 180 this next weekend. 160 I think is too low but then again I don't know much about the GT's. Should be the same thermostat though.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Under what conditions does the engine run that hot? Highway only? Around town only? All the time?
Answering those questions will help the problem diagnosis.
It would help if the OP provides the answers unless he just wants to throw parts at the problem.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
He must have figured it out............NOT!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts