Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my 94 GT about 2 or 3 months ago from my uncle and i havent really done anything to it yet check up wise besides change the oil. i was wondering if there is any routine steps to folow to keep it running clean and to ensure a long life? the engine currently has 142,XXX miles on it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
your question is your answer...a tune up is a great idea, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. If you have time and money take the heads off...check the block. worse comes to worse get a rebuilt kit for about 600 give or take and you'll pretty much be sitting on a new engine. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Yep, just simply giving it a tune up once a year will help out big time with longevity. Make sure you change your fuel filter once a year also... the gas these days is pretty nasty. :so

Also, it wouldn't hurt to do the things in the "solve idle problems" part of this link.....

Mustang Basic Maintenance and Technical Articles

·
Registered
883 Posts
A compression test wouldn't hurt either. +2 on the fuel filter. check the radiator for leaks or anything like that. A coolant flush im sure would help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now i am kinda new to this so i dont know what everything is. the cap is the distributer correct? what is the rotar?

·
Registered
2 Posts
the rotor is the little piece inside the distributor underneath the cap. the rotor has a metal blade on the tip of it so when the distributor spins, the rotor spins, contacting the blade on the metal points of the cap. you can just pull it right out and replace it with a new one by pushing the new in. if you take the cap off, you will right away know what i am talking about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.