Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got around to changing my water pump last night. Everything was going real smooth (a little TOO smooth actually...). I took the overflow tank out, took out my fan/shroud, took the serp belt off, took the pump pulley off.
I started taking all the bolts out that hold the water pump on the block. Every bolt came out pretty easy with an air ratchet. I got to the LAST bolt, and (using the air ratchet and a 6 point socket) rounded the head off the bolt... :madas:

By then it was 10 o'clock, so I sprayed some PB Blaster on the bolt to let it set overnight (that bolt was in there "gorilla snot tight"). But I have no idea where to go from here.
My dad usually helps me with problems like this but he's on vacation.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would LOVE to get this done tonight so I can go racing, but we'll see...

Oh, BTW this bolt is right behing the tensioner pulley. So I had to have a friend hold the tensioner out of the way to get to this bolt. So it's one of the hardest bolts to get to... of course... :so

·
Registered
39 Posts
see if this will help?

go to the auto parts store if you got a ride and buy a gator grip socket set(they look like a razor pinwheel inside of socket.they will do the trick! let me know if it works?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good. Hopefully I can get this thing out easier since I soaked it with penetrator.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Those bolt outs really work. Or find some Vice Grips. :gringreen

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those bolt outs really work. Or find some Vice Grips. :gringreen
I would have tried vice grips but this bolt is in an awkward position. I'd be able to get the vice grips on but they won't have any room to turn.

I'll just try to get a set of those "easy outs"... I'll post up how it went.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I'm sure Reggie would know how to get it out... :gringreen It'd be something to do with the wing. :hihi:

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure Reggie would know how to get it out... :gringreen It'd be something to do with the wing. :hihi:
Yeah probably... :hihi:
Well I finally got that bolt out. I had to take my tensioner pulley off and get a good 1/2" socket and ease it out. Bad part is I went out and paid $25 for a set of those "gator sockets". Oh well, hopefully we'll find a use for those and get my money's worth. :laugh:
Some of those bolts look like they run right through a water jacket. This bolt inparticular had threads that weren't even recognizable... :so

Needless to say, we got new bolts.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Yup, some go right into water jackets. Use the gorilla snot when you put it back in or if you don't have any, use some of your own snot to seal them. :shigrin

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, some go right into water jackets. Use the gorilla snot when you put it back in or if you don't have any, use some of your own snot to seal them. :shigrin
We were going to put some anti seize on the bolts when we install the new one. If I put gorilla snot on them won't that make them SUPER hard to get out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.