Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought myself a 1994 Mustang GT and have lots of questions. I've been prowling for a few days now looking for how-to advice. I need to replace my shocks and struts, rear transmission seal where the drive shaft enters transmission, driver's window motor possibly, and today I it took me about 5 minutes of cranking and resting to get the car to start. Good spark and it ran like normal after it started. I have lots of work ahead of me but this is my project. I have been looking for somewhere to find help for awhile now, hopefully I've found the right place. Look forward to the posts! If anyone has links to how-to links for the problems I mentioned, I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
207 Posts
welcome

fireshallfear you have come to the right place, the forums here have alot of active members who all specialize in mustangs and can help answer most your questions or at least head you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Welcome to AFM. Glad to have you here. Check out our 5.0l tech forums.:bigthumbsup

S

·
0 Posts
Exactly, our Mustang Tech and 5.0 sections will get you covered. Post in those forums and our members can help get you figured out. Thanks for joining!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,461 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sharad: I got it back up and running again, pulled the Distributer cap off and cleaned up the points, replaced the stock plug wires with 8.5mm wires. I have aftermarket headers that I believe broke down/melted the insulation on the plug wires, so now the plug wires have asbestos socks surround them when they turn down past the heads. Also thanks for the info for shocks and struts.

I have a fully stock suspension right now, I'm new to the game, my past experience was strictly carb motors so this is a huge learning experience for me. From what I understand, the stock suspension is pretty good if you are looking for a street/strip car. Im trying to decide if I want to put aftermarket struts and shocks on it now or replace them with OEM and work on the motor and then turn to the suspension when I get to that point. My mustang has 176000 miles on it now so I have spent all my time trying to get it back up to decent shape by replacing little things like window motor bushings, door locks, trunk lid lock, soon shocks and struts, tomorrow its getting a new rear seal in the trans. Its a project but I couldn't ask for more. I have thousands of different paths open to take, now its narrowing them down and making a plan. Any suggestions from anyone?? Thanks already for those who have answered, I'm thinking you all will be my saving grace more than once as I try to complete my life dream! I wanna go fast!

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Like the boys said let's get the car running correctly and that will start with a nice little tune up of the usual things like plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor, fuel filter, etc...

After you have changed what is needed check timing and see if you can bump it up some. Also look into the PCV vlave and the screen and see if it is clogged up.

Like Marky said clean the MAF and TB. Most of these little things get over looked by previous owners who just give up and simple upkeep will make a world of difference.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Sharad: I got it back up and running again, pulled the Distributer cap off and cleaned up the points, replaced the stock plug wires with 8.5mm wires. I have aftermarket headers that I believe broke down/melted the insulation on the plug wires, so now the plug wires have asbestos socks surround them when they turn down past the heads. Also thanks for the info for shocks and struts.

I have a fully stock suspension right now, I'm new to the game, my past experience was strictly carb motors so this is a huge learning experience for me. From what I understand, the stock suspension is pretty good if you are looking for a street/strip car. Im trying to decide if I want to put aftermarket struts and shocks on it now or replace them with OEM and work on the motor and then turn to the suspension when I get to that point. My mustang has 176000 miles on it now so I have spent all my time trying to get it back up to decent shape by replacing little things like window motor bushings, door locks, trunk lid lock, soon shocks and struts, tomorrow its getting a new rear seal in the trans. Its a project but I couldn't ask for more. I have thousands of different paths open to take, now its narrowing them down and making a plan. Any suggestions from anyone?? Thanks already for those who have answered, I'm thinking you all will be my saving grace more than once as I try to complete my life dream! I wanna go fast!
Sounds good man. I agree with the others. Stick to general maintenance and tune up work for now. Take your time and enjoy it. The mods will come. :bigthumbsup

As for the suspension, it's a safe bet to just replace anything that's worn out for now... no need to get racy. Thankfully, many of the inexpensive aftermarket replacement parts are a dramatic improvement over the factory parts. For example, our "Pro Street" control arms are only $199 for the set of four, but they're tubular chrome moly with polyurethane bushings. They make noticeable improvement in traction without being a radical mod.

I guess I'm being a little long winded here... but my point is that as you replace worn out factory parts, you'll be improving the car as you go along. "resto-modding", I guess. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave, thanks for the link, I haven't gotten to far into it but it looks as though it'll be a huge help!

smurf.stang, my main goal is to get this poor car back to where it should be. I didn't realize how bad the previous owners "repairs" were until today. the lower shift boot on the shifter was torn in half, half was missing, so he stuffed two pieces of sound deadening foam and a hand towel in there in place of it. Oh the things some people will do...

Sharad, as always thanks, I can't help but be amazed that every time I post something, you're there with the answer and a product of yours :winks but I'm not complaining, the prices are right and the products seem to get great reviews. As for suspension, I think starting from scratch sounds like a pretty good idea. Good thing I got my better half to understand that the garage is tied up for a long time, however I thought i was exaggerating when I told her it was a 20 year project!

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Sharad, as always thanks, I can't help but be amazed that every time I post something, you're there with the answer and a product of yours :winks but I'm not complaining, the prices are right and the products seem to get great reviews. As for suspension, I think starting from scratch sounds like a pretty good idea. Good thing I got my better half to understand that the garage is tied up for a long time, however I thought i was exaggerating when I told her it was a 20 year project!
Hahaha... thanks. I'll try not to hit you over the head too much with the sales pitches. I'm really just trying to help a brotha out, regardless of where you buy your parts. I've literally owned dozens of Mustangs and have tried all kinds of different parts on my cars. Anytime I can use some of my trials & errors to help someone else out, it makes it all seem worthwhile to me.

And yeah, it's good that your better half understands your obsession. Otherwise, you'd be in deep trouble! :hihi:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts