Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sisters 1994 3.8 mustang has been really acting up lately and I've been chasing this problem for a while but it just recently got worse. It started with a rough idle and "system too lean bank 1 & 2" codes. I always attributed the codes to the K&N CAI but she started complaining about throttle lag and stuttering so I bought a set of Borg Warner upstream O2 sensors and installed them and that eliminated one of the codes so now it is just "system too lean bank 2". But the engine wont run over about 2700 RPM just acts like it is running out of gas. Dad suggested a TPS, no help. I took the car to the ford dealer for tires and i talked to the tech that installed the tires and he suggested Fuel injectors. So I bought a set of Lifetime warranty Bosch Fuel injectors and installed them, The problem got worse, now the car is pretty much undrivable. petal to the metal in first gear gets you about 15mph and stuttering/backfiring. Spark plugs looked good (4 electrode Bosch Platinum's) New plug wires, coil pack is only a couple years old. Her Boyfriend also replaced the Fuel filter but that didn't help any. Where should we look next? Thanks in advance
-Brad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I couldn't figure out how to edit my first post, but we did try cleaning the MAF with proper cleaners but it didn't help.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Are you sure you don't have a major vacuum leak? Esp around the EGR system? Valve cover gaskets?

Any exhaust leaks?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So while following vacuum lines I removed the tube that runs from the air filter to the throttle body and when reinstalling it we accidentally forgot to hook up the Mass air flow sensor and the car ran tons better except for a Dead miss, lean code is gone the only code is cylinder 1 misfire, changed the mass air flow sensor and coil pack out with one my sisters boyfriend had laying around and now it drives perfect except a slight rough idle, we can live with that. Thanks for the help
-Brad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts