Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1994 V6 3.8L Mustang convertible. Recently (within the last 4 days) there has been a scraping (metal-on-metal sounding) when I turn the steering wheel. Today I added power steering fluid to now avail. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
343 Posts
i would say look in your wheel wells, as it could be something up in there, unless you can actually "feel" it when you turn the wheel then you might have a steering problem, but more than likely it is in fact the brakes... good luck solving this problem!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is nothing in the wells. What, exactly, am I looking for when checking the brakes? (forgive my ignorance).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is it making the noise through the whole... how do i say this... "range" of steering or is it just when it's maxed to the left or right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The noise is mostly only occuring when making sharp turns, when the steering wheel is near to being maxed out. After the wheel maxes out and the noise happens, however, it makes the noise while I'm returning the steering wheel to center position.

·
Registered
22 Posts
could be your ball joints goin bad... that could be bad if they go out when your drivin. also could be your rack and pinon goin too. i just had the same thing on my cougar. the ball joints took a crap while i was turning into my driveway... lets just say i needed a new fender and tire after that happened. take it to a brake shop for a inspection if your not sure what your doing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright, I will. The noise started happening again today but then stopped again in the same day. I'll check the brakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.