Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1994 3.8 L V6 5 speed Mustang with 130,000 miles on it.

Oddly, it seems to run smooth, but there is a problem in, I assume, the fuel system. The car gets only 12-13 mpg, and there is an aroma of fuel that frequently comes into the passenger compartment.

I just finished replacing the rear brakes and haven't had much chance to pore over the engine to try to find a problem; frankly, I'm clueless about where to look for a potential problem.

Does anyone have experience with fuel systems on this car? Is there a likely problem with, perhaps, the fuel injectors? Maybe a common leak point that would be wasting gas and filling the car with fumes?

There is no tell-tale puddle under the car, and it does run smoothly. Just horrible gas mileage...and the smell.

I'd sure appreciate it if anyone can give a hint, point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Welcome to the site!
I would try to jack up the car on one side completely, set it on jack stands, and let the car run while you look for the leak. It might be a fine spray of fuel from a hole in the fuel line that doesn't puddle when the car isn't running or it could be a hole in the tank(they rot on the top commonly) or it could be a loose or broken fitting anywhere in the fuel system(including under the hood). If you smell gas though you definitely have a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Our fuel filler necks have a rubber grommet that are prone to wearing out rather quickly. Check the rubber grommet where the fuel tank and the filler neck connect, if it looks beat, you may need to replace it. That's the only explanation for a gas smell inside the car, because the filler neck goes through the trunk of the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks... fuel tank might be it

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've filled the fuel tank twice, and both times, gas splashed onto the ground before the pump shut off. I'm now guessing that indicates a problem like those described about the tank or filler neck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.