Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have been looking at Mustang GT's from 1995-2000 but want to know what things to look for during the test drive and look through. Also, what are some common problems these cars have?

·
Registered
133 Posts
1995-2000 mustangs cover 3 different sub-genres of the SN95 Mustang. There are 2 different engines for those 3 generations. The 94-95 have a 5L V8, and the 96-04 carry a 4.6L V8 (with the 99-04 engine being a bit modified)
Check out Wikipedia for some basic info on the SN95 Mustangs
Ford Mustang (fourth generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyways, there aren't really any major common problems that crop up under the 96-04 gen. There are some issues with the IAC valve and Throttle Position sensor but those are easy and relatively cheap fixes. Some have also had cracked intakes with leak coolant but that is less common. You should mainly look for things like fluid leaks, misfires, and suspension problems like on any used car. Also, make sure you know the history of the car. You would want to know if it has been in an accident or not.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Things to watch out for.....

1. In their stock form, the GT's are continuously getting their butts handed to them by the Camaro crowd. :smartass:

2. Best to find an unmolested Mustang (stock) preferably one that is owned by an ederly person as you know they are less likely to beat and rag on it like a 18 to 20 something year old.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
+1, i would wiki it and read up. As stated, two different motors, 5.0 and 4.6 but different years for the 4.6 received diff items to boost HP alittle. I would look for a 99 or 2000 if that's the newest you want to go up on the years. At least they have 260HP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys very much. And for track use...how are these on a race track? Not drag but a road course. I would imagine it would be plenty fast but a bit spongy on the turns. Just want some feedback from all of you hardcore racers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts