Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I'm new to these forums, but have searched around and I can't really find an answer anywhere.
My headlights don't turn on when I pull the headlight knob out all the way. However, if I fiddle with the knob and push it in a little bit they will switch on. Then after driving around and going over a bump they will turn off again.

So I have already changed the headlight switch twice, and even the wiring harness. The problem still exists.

I'm wondering what else it could be. Is it possibly related to the relays, or, fuses?

Also with the switches they don't come with the little knob shaft, could it be related to this shaft?

With all the switches I have checked for continuity on the B2-R, and B1-H circuits and they have been fine.

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
FWIIW, are you aware there's a circuit breaker in the head light switch? Sooooo if the headlights are drawing too much current, this could trip the CB.

This also offers an explanation why the head lights work sometimes and not others. IE, the CB automatically resets once cool.

Do you have after market head lights?

Also note that high heat can cause a CB to trip at a lower current draw. If for example there's a loose/dirty connection at the head light switch, this can cause the connection to heat up. Thus tripping the CB at a lower current draw.

Consider cleaning and lightly greasing the head light switch connector. To clean use electric contact cleaner. For grease, use silcone di-electric grease (same kind as used on spark plug boots).

Note, there are no relays in the head light circuit. The circuit does pass through the multi-function switch. However, if tweeking the head light switch causes the head lights to come on, to me that says the switch is bad.

For the problem to be in the multi-function switch, then tweeking the multi-function switch itself should be the key.

Perhaps you should get a new source for the head light switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.What do you mean by get a new source for the headlights. Like get a whole new separate switch? What kind of switch would you suggest? I think if that's possible it might be the best option.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I mean to buy the next head light switch from a well known source (not eBay or the cheapest online or an import). Perhaps a new Motorcraft headlight switch <gasp> :gringreen

My question about aftermarket head lights was directed at the head lights themselves. Such as brighter (non stock) headlights that use more current than stock?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts