Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My car is a 1995 5.0L Mustang. The Daytime Running lights, horn and foglights currently all dont wont as they are on the same fuse (20amp under the hood). In an effort to remedy my problem I removed the fuse and noted that it was indeed burnt out. As soon as I went to put the new fuse in I heard a crackle and smoke started rising from the area just under the fuse box where I was working. I quickly removed the fuse but it hadnt burnt out. A friend advised to remove the horn and DRL relays which I did and then re-insert the new fuse. I followed the advice and upon trying th fuse again I actualy got a pop sound follwed by more smoke. The fuse was in there for about 5 seconds this time and I quickly removed it and again the fuse hadnt blown. Out of frustration I thought maybe I would slowly try the fuse in there slot again but I started to hear the same crackling as soon as the 2 prongs of the 20amp touched their contacts in the fuse box.

I really dont know here to go from here or what to make of the smoke coming from under my fuse box nor do I know how to remove the box as my manual doesnt cover this. Just hoping someone could help me out here......perhaps my problem is not a unique one or perhaps it is.

Jeff.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Welcome to the site.

That's indicative of a bad wiring problem, you have a bad ground or some crossed wires under there. Start by checking the circuit that you're having a problem with and go from there. It could be a broken wire, exposed wire touching the frame, or crossed with another and getting/losing voltage to the other circuit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because I see sparks and smoke coming from this area can I expect that is where the problem would be or is it going to be a needle in a haystack type job where all the wiring on those circuits including things like inside the steering wheel where the horn is have to be investigated??

Also, would you happen to know who to remove the fuse box under the hood so that I can have a look at whats going on under there?? I took a quick look and didnt see any clue of how it was mounted...

Man, I really dread electrical problems.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.