Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 95 cougar with the 4.6l. I have seen many people put the PI heads on the 96 and up engines, but i didnt know if i would need anything special for the 94/95 engines. anything different than the 96 swap?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Still pretty much the same as far as i know. The only reason why you dont hear of any 94 or 95 swaps is because 96 was the first year of the 4.6 in the mustangs. There is a differnce in the way the intake is set up though, you have an aluminum intake manifold and the throttle body faces the front of the car, On a pi intake the throttle body is supposed to face the passengers side of the car. So you may have to find intake piping or better yet a cold air intake off of a 96 or 97 cougar or thunderbird because they had the new type intake. Unless you were planning on making your own. As far as i know everything else should work. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
To add to the above:

You'll also need the complete PI intake. lower intake, upper elbow, throttle body, fuel rails, throttle cable from a '96+, inlet tube and the forward part of the fuel lines, the '95 ones won't reach the '96+ inlet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx. how about coil packs on mine? will they work on the new heads alright? with the pi heads, are the fuel rail and and spark plugs on top on the pi's?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
yeah, the coils can be used, and the fuel rails and plugs are in the same place, just the fuel rails can't be used from the '95 intake. It's been about 7 years since I worked on a TBird/Cougar, but I believe the problem with the '95 fuel rails is that the fittings are right where the throttle body is on the 96+, and are in the way. So you have to use the '96+ fuel rails, which put the fuel lines in the wrong spot and they can't be routed to the new spot without them crimping themselves shut. So you need the forward part of the fuel lines, closest to the intake also.

Again, I'm going off memory from doing it once 7 years ago, so I may be forgetting some of the small things, but I remember for a fact that we had to get the fuel rails and forward fuel lines from a '96 in order to use the PI intake.

·
Registered
29 Posts
if the block is the same then you can do a pi swap easy and you will need the fuel rail from 96-98 mustang gt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.