Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello AFM Fam;

Well finally got the rubber tank/filler neck seal in, can fill up now, YEAH!

So, last night (2 days after the gasket swap) Sally begins to surge at idle, not much, but noticeable. I can feel vibrations from the engine all the way to 4k, which is my normal shift daily driving. Serious shakes...

New plugs, wires, gold cap/rotor. 'zone tells me fuel pressure. Remove the vacuum line from the regulator, radical change as I expected. Rule that one out. Pop a small screwdriver down the fuel rail valve- GOT PRESSURE!

Ok, lost now, acts like the dampner is toast, but nope, it's solid. 180k miles, did my cam go flat? IAC has been bypassed....long story...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AlleyMad, I have no mil or check light.....

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Some codes do not pop lights and will be stores. Always good practice to run codes as they might point you in the right direction.

You mentioned gasket swap....which gaskets did you swap?

Might be a simple vacuum leak?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smurf/AlleyMad;

Since I'm unemployed, the reader will have to wait. I went to the 'zone today and warrantied new plugs and wires. Same result. Shakes at 2k like crazy....I can see motor mounts in the future....

Anyway, I just replaced the tank filler neck seal 4 days ago. Ran like a raped ape Saturday....85-90 no problem, get some rubber out of 1st. Overnight it went nuts. Checked for vacuum leaks, loose connectors, etc. Possible Ignition Module or maybe a I jumped a tooth on the timing gears? 180k miles...

I'm stuck.....throw me a bone!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ICM? Sorry, couldn't remember the name...

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Click on the link and learn to check your own codes for free.

Verify your balancer is good and 100%.

What is your timing at?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do. The balancer seems ok, I'll double check it. Don't have a light, so I advanced til she knocked and backed it off a bit...I'd say in the 10 degree range.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Smurf- 21.95, Summit, free shipping....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Well, no codes on the O2 sensors would at least seem to indicate you are getting enough fuel (or you would see lean) but it still would not hurt to double-check the fuel pressure and regulator just to verify.

If you want the Ford Racing balancer:

1995 FORD MUSTANG Ford Racing Crankshaft Damper Assemblies M-6316-M50 - SummitRacing.com

But, there are other options that can eliminate the separation issue. Not saying that an upgrade is necessarily the best solution for you given your situation, but it never hurts to throw it out there...:

1995 FORD MUSTANG Harmonic Balancers - SummitRacing.com

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AleeyMad;

Do I need a 50 oz.? Or being stock, can I use the stock 28 oz.?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Stock would be 50oz.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On order.....decided to go with a Dorman for now....

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Is car sputtering or vibrating?

How old is fuel filter? Are you saying the vibration started after fuel tank was dropped? Make sure no exhaust against driveshaft after dropping tank, etc.

How did you check damper? If still stock it's suspect for sure as the rubber dries out and can poke out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stangdawg-

It's vibrating....I ran the OBD1 check, high fan failure- I suspect the PCM or CCRM. However, all ignition/fuel systems are good...180k miles, I think I spun the HB out of phase. I drive it to 4k and shift all the time. Code reader will be here today and I ordered a balancer....I know it's time and HOPE it's the issue. It felt tight, but then again, it's covered...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All good in the hood boys. It was the harmonic balancer. and I've never seen it idle or run this well since I've had it. thank you all for your help and input!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
All good in the hood boys. It was the harmonic balancer. and I've never seen it idle or run this well since I've had it. thank you all for your help and input!:bigthumbsup
Sweet! Always better when she's smooth and operating well than lumpy and outta top condition...

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Man congrats on the fix and now enjoy the heck outta her. Nothing better than getting a car in tip top shape and knowing it was you who did it :bigthumbsup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts