Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just changed the head gaskets on the '99 3.8L engine in my '95 Mustang. Now it will crank but not start. I drove the car to its present location last week before I tore the engine down.

The details:

1. There is no spark between the ignition coil and the coil end of the spark plug that I tested.

2. My test light shows no power to the positive terminal on the large ignition coil connector. (There IS power to the primary (small) connector.)

3. When I tested the negative terminals on the ignition coil connector while cranking the engine, the test light flashed repeatedly on each one, indicating a pulse signal from the PCM. The light flashed very weakly each time.

4. I also tested the crankshaft position sensor connector. NO POWER to that connector, either.

5. I also tested the camshaft position sensor. It has power. :bigthumbsup

6. There IS power to the fuse that I *think* governs the ignition coils--slot 18, 20A fuse, in the instrument panel fuse box.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Small correction

In detail #1 above, I checked the coil end of the plug WIRE, not the plug itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Success!

Since there was power to the small plug/connector just before the ignition coil pack in the circuit (and I presume this small connector to be the "right radio frequency interference capacitor), I traced the malfunction to the coil connector itself.

The power wire had come loose inside the connector. All I had to do was push it in about 1/4-inch and it had power

1 - 3 of 3 Posts