Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, for a while now I have been using this site as a reference to try and tune up a Stang I purchased but the thing is I didn't have any experience with cars. Well now I have improved but I still need help with this car.
Problems that I know of:

-Parasitic drain on battery (I know which fuses)
-Fan on radiator wont move
-thermostat guage wont read
-gas gauge wont read
-a/c doest work (air compressor head doesn't rotate when air on)

These are all the problems I found, only have like $200 so i was hoping that would be enough to fix the radiator fan at least. I just want it to fix issues that will damage the car any further, things like no air aren't a problem for now.

Also this car looks like its been mistreated badly, will post pics if needed. And I have been around the forum looking for help with the radiator fan but people use words I don't know so please keep it reasonably simple.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
-Parasitic drain on battery (I know which fuses)
It would help if you posted which fuses.
-Fan on radiator wont move
Do you mean that the fan motor is seized up solid? If so, fan motor replacement is th only real option. Otherwise, confirm that the fan motor run when connected directly to the battery. Confirm that the fan fuse is good.
-thermostat guage wont read
-gas gauge wont read
-a/c doest work (air compressor head doesn't rotate when air on)
Likely these problems are electrical in nature. You will be well served by having a full set of Ford wiring diagrams. If interested in getting a set for yourself I maybe able to help. PM if interested.

Does the fan run if the ECT sensor is disconnected?

If you are looking for a good "parts changer guess" (assuming good fuse and good fan motor), look at the CCRM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuses:
Maxi 16( Ign Sw.- AMP=40), Maxi 14 ( HD LPS- Exterior Lamps, I/P Fuse panel)
- In the I/p Fuse Panel: Fuse #8 (Courtesy lamps, radio, power mirror, remote keyless entry, illuminated entry), Fuse #4 ( Air Bag system), Fuse # 9 (Brake on/off(BOO) switch, electronic flasher)

Before I was getting a drain of about 1.8-3.0 amps, I have "removed" (unpluged some fuses and wires) a black box near the fuse box I think it was a result of an after market radio and speaker installation. Now i am getting a drain of .129 amps.

Fan:
One of my friends who knows more about cars than I, came over and tested the fan he connected to the battery and it ran, the fuse is good according to a visual check and a multimeter check.
Also as a temp fix he ran a cable from the fan (opened a wire) and connected witht he help of a fuse to the i/p fuse box so now every time i turn the key the fan runs.

I bought s Haynes repair manual and i came with a set of electrical diagrams, I still cant read them but I will try and learn later today.

I don't think I can do the ECT sensor test anymore but because of what my friend did. So i will look for a CCRM.

Also how do I check if the pins on the CCRM have power receive? Would a mulimeter help me with this.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Your fan problem is most likely the ECT. Can't recall if the fan relays are in the underhood fuse box or built into the CCRM.

The fan recall all they do is add a inline breaker between the fan harness and the actual motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts