Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what it would take to convert my 1995 mustang 5.0 weak aod transmission to either a 5 speed or 6 speed. Im mostly leanin toward the 6 speed. My buddies all have 5 speed and i want the t56 transmission. Im confident enough in doin it myself i have already had the automatic transmission rebuilt once by a shop but i took it out with some help from a friend. I want to know how much it would be and what i would need. Im up for usin used parts just not the transmission. U get what u pay for. If anyone has any information please reply.:D

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I am sure there are some kits available out there that have the correct Bellhousing and Tranny Mounts, good luck with the project sounds like fun!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
What's it gonna take? $$$$$$$$$$$$ and more $$$$$$$ :D

Honestly, with a '95, you need to be careful on which T56 you get. The T56 model 012 was built for the mustang platform and a 5.0 motor. This will make the swap the easiest. Any other model of T56 will require more money and many modifications to make it work. :scratchchin

The basics are obviously a set of pedals and cable linkage system, flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch kit, clutch fork, shifter handle and boot, new driveshaft and slip yoke and either a new cross member or modify the one you have. You should also take a measurement from the output shaft of the automatic, up to the tunnel (directly above it) and keep that measurement handy. You also need to compare lengths between your automatic and the T56 you get. If they are the same or close, that measurement will come in handy. You will need to duplicate it when installing the T56 to ensure your driveline angles are correct and you don't end up with a driveline vibration.
The T56 012 should come with it's own bell housing. Make sure you get a measurement from the front of the bell housing flange (where it bolts up to the engine), back down the center line of the tranny to the middle of the shifter itself.. Once your transmission is removed from the car, take a measurement from the engine block flange (that the tranny bolts up to) down the center line of the tunnel to the center of the opening in the floor for the shifter. This will tell you if the shifter location is going to work without cutting the tunnel or not. :bigthumbsup

This swap can be done and is not too difficult but like I said in my first sentence, it is going to take $$$$$ .:hihi:

Let me know if you have any specific questions about this swap. We do these swaps all day, every day, at work. :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Lotsa $$$, plus the 6 speed is HEAVY. You won't get any real performance increase to it, you'll just be able to say "6 speed" versus 5 speed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gosh thank yall so much for the info and the support i will keep it posted on how it is goin and im pretty sure ill be in touch with u rj8806 lol.:D

·
Registered
460 Posts
good luck with your swap there guy

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Richard can set you up with whatever you need, he's the transmission guru here. :bigthumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.