Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing around with doing this for quite a while but as is anything in life, other more pressing things usually grab the funds set aside (like college tuition). I've seen a few threads on here and some dealing with making your own but I don't believe I have that ability---handy to a point. I found a K and N one: 57 SERIES HIGH FLOW PERFORMANCE COLD AIR INTAKE KITS - JCWhitney and it looks decent though the picture doesn't show it leaving the engine bay so not sure about that. I'm curious to know what you might be using that came in a kit.

Todd

·
Registered
556 Posts
im using a k+n drop in filter and then a custom made ceramic tubeing to the throttle body

·
Registered
625 Posts
IMO, a CAI is a waste of money. You should get it only if you want the asthetic appeal of having it under the hood, or if you want that cool little sucking noise all the time, but as for actual HP gains you will not feel anything over a drop in K&N. If you want actual power that you can feel then you need to invest money, period.
You have that extra money that you want to spend on your car? What about something the car needs instead? Any preventative maintanance you could do? If I had just enough money to either buy a CAI or possibly replace something that is old, I'd replace a part instead.

I'm weird though, don't listen to me, have fun!

R

·
0 Posts
You have that extra money that you want to spend on your car? What about something the car needs instead? Any preventative maintanance you could do? If I had just enough money to either buy a CAI or possibly replace something that is old, I'd replace a part instead.

I'm weird though, don't listen to me, have fun!
In terms of economic feasibility he make a great point........

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, I've been doing what I can for a while. I've heard pros and cons on CAI. I have the K and N filter right now, have had that for a while. The exhaust has had some work so it's not like I haven't spent anything on it. I guess what I'm trying to do is enhance what the engine has already. Gears for one thing could be improved, it has the stock 2.73 right now. I know a lot of people replace this stuff right away. When I got mine in 98, the power and acceleration were acceptable. If I had a garage and tools and knowledge to do this stuff (I used to work on cars when there was room under the hood to practically sit in it) I would. I love my car but want to make it a bit more responsive. I don't need lightning speed down the strip. If you have a reasonable suggestion on what may be worth doing and the cost is not bad to have it installed, I'd love to see what you think.

Todd

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got a American muscle brand and I like it it's the type that goes into your fendersell and actually sucks in cold air

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.