Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've been struggling to figure out what exactly is wrong with my car. Around 4800-5000 rpm the shifter rattles really loudly, it almost sounds like a marble is rattling around in it and it vibrates really bad. So far I've installed an aluminum driveshaft, engine and transmission mounts, changed the transmission fluid and tightened up the shifter bolts. I also just got a new clutch recently. Has anyone else out there had this problem or have any input? I'm getting really frustrated with this haha. Thanks!

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
is it stock? If so get a Pro 5.0, it will help immensely

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the shifter is a b&m, but i feel like it could be in the tranny. it starts vibrating around 4800 and gets worse the higher you go

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It isn't the shifter. I just bolted up a old stock shifter that worked fine on another car, but I still got the same rattling/vibration at high rpms. Anyone have any input on what my problem might be??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have any input?? I'd appreciate any help I could get. Thanks guys

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
well sounds like a rebuild is in your future, mine sits there solid as a rock no matter the rpm

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Hey everyone, I've been struggling to figure out what exactly is wrong with my car. Around 4800-5000 rpm the shifter rattles really loudly, it almost sounds like a marble is rattling around in it and it vibrates really bad. So far I've installed an aluminum driveshaft, engine and transmission mounts, changed the transmission fluid and tightened up the shifter bolts. I also just got a new clutch recently. Has anyone else out there had this problem or have any input? I'm getting really frustrated with this haha. Thanks!
No pun intended (okay, maybe a little), but input might be just the thing. At 140,000mi, I found my T5's input shaft had some play in the bearing retainer. This is due to the bearings having worn down and no longer seating in the bearing cup. I don't have it all back together yet, but I have a strong suspicion this will eliminate a similar squeaking I was experiencing.

Can you further diagnose when the rattling occurs? Is the clutch engaged, in gear? In neutral? It would be good to know whether the sound is related to engine speed, input shaft speed, or vehicle (output) speed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
my 88 gt does the same thing when i hit hit 100mph and faster only does it in 5th ive noticed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does it no matter what gear, whether it be 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or whatever. It starts around 4800rpm everytime. The car is in gear, and when I hit the clutch it stops. That's why I think it's something in the tranny. It's not so much squeaking as it is rattling. It literally sounds like there's a marble bouncing around in the shifter really bad. The vibration of the shifter in my hand is almost as bad as the noise. Is that what you've had before? I'm trying my best to describe it haha, I brought it to a really good mustang guy and even he isn't quite sure.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I really think it's input shaft related. It sounds like you're experiencing the same thing I was, though mine was noticeable at much lower RPM's.

I'm just waiting on one part to come in before I can have mine all back together. I'll report soon as to whether it made the noise go away or not.

·
Registered
359 Posts
ive got the same problem

when in gear my shifter has some free play to it also

it shakes and rattles 5krpm and up

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had that problem last year my factory driveshaft had a balancer on the front of it and the rubber separated it did it mainly under a high load but finally it threw the balancer off onto the tail shaft. Simple enough fix but it was not good for the tranny

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It turns out that it was my harmonic balancer. I essentially paid 300 dollars to have my transmission removed, taken apart, evaluated, and put back together. And to find out it was the nicest T-5 that he has seen in years. He was in disbelief that it had 112k miles on it! I then paid another 200 dollars to have my harmonic balancer replaced (parts and labor) seeing as I don't have the necessary tools to do it myself. My mechanic showed me my old harmonic balancer which was in really rough shape. My cars drives like new now! No more shaking at idle (which I never really noticed until it was fixed) and I can really drive it now which is great!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts