Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a brief search and just got frustrated but could somebody identify my engine please. I have a 95 GT with a 4.6. I'm not sure if it's the original engine or even what year it is. I've heard several story's about this car and want to figure it out once and for all.

Engine number found on metal plate bolted to top of intake reads............. IW7E-10153-EA

·
Registered
413 Posts
motor

Count the bolts on the cam covers, 11 should be a windsor and 13 should be a romeo, I THINK.

Call a Ford dealer,, with the number they should be able to tell you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The title says 95.

The hood sys 4.6 belt routing.

It's a SOHC motor. I don't think any 5.0 or 5.8 from that era are OHC are they?

I've been told it was a special order engine. (I'm sure that's just some line to try and sell it )

And I've also been told it use be raced at IRP dragstrip in Indiana.

Some poor SOB (original owner) had to offload it for some quick cash while going through a divorce. Didn't want his wife to get it.

Just trying to figure out what's actually under the hood. ( it's got 11 bolts on cam covers)

Thanks for the help so far!

Whoops, just noticed at the bottom of Carl's post he said call the dealer. I didn't even think of that. I'll try to remember to call tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
That part number you posted is for a PI 4.6 alternator bracket. '95 GTs were 5.0's as mentioned above, the 4.6 wasn't available in the Mustang in '95, not even by special order. I would normally say someone swapped it in, but the 4.6 belt routing sticker kind of makes that unlikely, so there's a couple different explainations.

Take a picture of under the hood, concentrating on the plastic intake manifold, but it seems that you have a PI 4.6 in your car by that bracket number, which is an engine that wasn't even offered until 1999
:headscratch::headscratch:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try to get some pics as quick as possible but I'm very "computer stupid" so I'll get my son or mom to help me out. Thanks for trying to help me figure this out. I'll post pics asap.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe a newer hood while being repainted on top of a 99 PI motor swap? Dang, I need to track this guy down who did all this work and ask him about 50 questions!

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Your car was a V6 model, and has been swapped to a PI 4.6. My guess would be that they found a New Edge donor car, and transplanted everything. The only problem with that is that you really don't know how properly the swap was done. Did they swap to the 8.8 rear end also? What transmission did they use? Did they swap the computers with the 4.6, or did they reflash the original to work?

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's a NPI intake. It's hard to see from the pictures, but a PI intake should have an extra mounting boss that isn't there and the runner coming from the left would not be stretching that far across on a PI.

Edit: You know, actually, it doesn't look like any of my 4.6 intakes. I have a 96 NPI and 99PI in my garage, and an 01 on my car... and it's different than all of them. The runner length still makes me think it's NPI, but it's hard to see the shape.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know the speedometer is 10 mph faster than actual speed. The second owner said due to the 17" rims. I found some kind of Ford calabration tag in door jam (probably unrelated but I took a pic.)

I went out and took several more pics and I'll get posted as soon as I can figure out again.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. especially Bullit5339!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Looks like a NPI 96-98 era 4.6L engine with the updated intake that has the aluminum coolant crossover. It doesn't look like a PI engine due to the alternator and a few other parts, but pictures can sometimes be misleading.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I have to agree, from those pics, it doesn't look like a PI engine, although the alternator bracket does match up to a 99-00 PI engine by the part number.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:sadcry::weeps:weeps:frustrated: Don't say that, I thought I had a treasure! Is there a block # somewhere I can refer to? If so where is it located? Thanks again

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Just a little FYI, if your tag in the door says it was made in say 08/95, its a 96, cars go into production for the new model year before the year starts, generally if its made after 07/xx its from the next model year. There are exceptions, and some companies even start production earlier, but its a good guideline. Your motor is indeed the sohc, so its likely a 96 car, to swap in a sohc in place of a 5.0 takes the motor, wiring, cooling, trans, k-member, and a lot of other nbs parts, so most likely you have a 96.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
He PM'd me the VIN, it comes back as a '95 V6 car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's quite the retrofit, then.... did he pull the VIN off the title or off the car? And if title, does the VIN on the title match the VIN on the car?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.