Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... This car is going to be the death of me, I swear.

While doing my oil change recently, I noted signs that the transmission may be leaking from somewhere on top. I remembered reading that the shift tower can leak, and is a fairly simple fix.

While I am at it, I figured I might as well change the transmission fluid... so I slide under the car, pop the plug loose, get doused in very not red transmission fluid... cursing session 1!

I went ahead and gave the driveshaft a twist and noted a lot of play in the front U joint. Well, that explains the driveline vibration. I make a note to head up and get a new set of joints (no sense in changing just one, right?)

I proceed to start wiping the side of the transmission and the speed sensor... only to have the speed sensor wiggle in my hand. A closer inspection revealed that the sensor was pretty loose in the hole and the bolt was not in all the way. I grabbed my trusty ratchet, put it on the bolt... Can you guess what happened next?

That's right. Half a turn and the fuggin' bolt popped off. >:-( (Cursing Session 2!)

Is there an easy way to get to this to easy out or drill and tap without dropping the exhaust and transmission?

For the record, we're talking about a 1995 GT with a t5 transmission, offroad H-pipe.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wow that is some luck..!
I would try welding a nut to the bolt end and back out if at all possible...
Otherwise I can't offer better advice.
I know someone will come in and help

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would try welding a nut to the bolt end and back out if at all possible...
I would but there's nothing sticking out to weld to. It broke off flush with the surface.

It looks like the Crossmember is just in the way of being able to line my cordless drill up with the hole square. I can hit it, though, so I might try an easy out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No luck. I can't get squared enough to feel comfortable drilling.

Wonder if I can just Zip Tie the sucker in until such a time that the transmission must come out....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After dropping the exhaust, I was able to move the crossmember out of the way enough to get my drill in there. I made a decent pilot hole with a small bit and went at it with a 1/4" bit... only to have the SOB wander off of the bolt.

I went ahead with it as is, drilling off to the side. I followed up with a tap, making nice threads.... then I ran out of light and the oil transmission fluid in my hair was really starting to burn the scalp.

I'll probably get back to this Tuesday. I should be able to get something to take to hold the speed sensor in place without 'redneck engineering' the sucker.

On the plus side, the exhaust is fairly new, so the bolts weren't too difficult. At least I know what I'm in for when I do the throwout bearing! :D

The next challenge will be dropping the drive shaft and getting those rusty C-clips out of the knuckles. This does NOT look fun.

BTW, if you're using an impact wrench with a U-Joint adapter, do NOT let that socket come off of the bolt you're working. It WILL fly off of the U-Joint adapter, most likely hitting you in the head, and giving you the power to utter curse words in languages that haven't even been invented yet.

Also, I suspect the shift tower wasn't leaking after all. It was probably the speed sensor. The entire tower is caked in DRIED fluid. The only wet fluid was on the speed sensor and wiring harness.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Oh my what fun we are having.

Sorry for the mishaps but glad it wasn't me this time.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just changed the U-joint on my 75' camaro. Not a big deal. Took about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think, once the C-clips come out, the U-Joints will be cake. Getting the bolts out might be fun, but I have my trusty impact wrench. I also rented the U-joint press to reassemble, so that will be easy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it fixed. Took a lot of cussing, will power, and a couple broken tools, but I got it back together.

I didn't realize how bad the U-Joints were until I got them apart. One of the pictures tells the whole story. Notice anything missing from the bearing caps?

While rolling around under there, I found a Yellow Jacket. With my back. He made his presence known to me.

I did have to grind out the hole for the speed sensor clamp a bit to accommodate the new bolt location and size, but it's working fine now.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts