Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 1st post.

My 95 GT is wandering.

I have 4 aftermarket AFS Cobra R Wheels 17 x 9 with 5.95" backspacingand 255/40/17 tires.

The stock wheels were 16 x 7.5 with 5.5" backspacing and 225/55/16 tires.

I replaced the tie rod ends, struts, and lower control arm bushings to try to fix this problem but it didn't help. Lately I have been looking for 17 x 8" wheels to bring it back closer to stock or maybe I can put a smaller tire on my front rims and that would take care of it.

I cant stand the wanering problem and I am sorta afraid to let my wife or son drive the car.

Has anyone ran into this problem and knows how to fix it?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
hey welcome. has it been lowered? if so you might have that excellent bump steer problem. usually after a 1-1.5" drop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wandering is usually caused by a loose or worn component of the steering or suspension, check ball joints and steering couplings for excess play. Tramlining on the other hand is the cars tendency to follow grooves or ruts in the road, pavement seams, etc. This is usually caused by tire width/offset or even tires themselves. A car won't tramline on a perfectly smooth road but it will wander. Try and distinguish from the two and go from there.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You've replaced the struts, tie rods, bushings... how about the rack bushings, and the alignment? Especially after replacing the struts, it should be aligned if it wasn't done. Do you hear any odd noises from the front end?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replys.

I have had it aligned.

This reply was interesting:

"Wandering is usually caused by a loose or worn component of the steering or suspension, check ball joints and steering couplings for excess play. Tramlining on the other hand is the cars tendency to follow grooves or ruts in the road, pavement seams, etc. This is usually caused by tire width/offset or even tires themselves. A car won't tramline on a perfectly smooth road but it will wander. Try and distinguish from the two and go from there."

This Tramlining sounds interesting. Do you think buying a set of smaller wheels for the 9" rims would solve the problem?

From my research the 95 mustang cobra came with a rim that was 17x9" with a 6" backspace. This is fairly close to what I have. But what tire came on that rim?

Thanks again for the replys.:happydance:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to say the baljoints were also replaced.
I didn't see where you said if it was lowered or not. As said above, if it is then this is a common problem. If it is stock height then you need to check all bolts, bushings and such...even if they are new!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Thanks for all the replys.

I have had it aligned.

:happydance:
just to clarify, the car didn't do this before the wheels? too much negative caster can cause your car to wander too. Negative caster is the forward tilt of the strut assembly. In stock form your mustangs caster is not adjustable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.