Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:worship
Hello,
I have a 95 LS convertible that the speedo odometer went out, ford wants 386.00 for this little doozie. speedo works fine. I bought a used gauge cluster and low and behold same thing. any idea's?? I heard the gears in the odmeter are crap and you can replace them. Anyone done this? Any help is appreciated.
Smitty

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Its probably the VSS (speed sensor) or the plastic gear on it, is is easy to check, the VSS is on the drivers side of the tranny, has a connector on it. Remove the locking nut and pull it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
odometer and trip log

hey raptor, thanks for your reply. My speedometer works well, wouldn't the speedometer not work if the speed senor was out? I've been told the gears are in the gauge cluster for the odometer and trip meter. Anyone had any experience with this?
Smitty

·
Registered
1 Posts
same trouble

I have a 97 GT with the same issue. Speedo works fine - I just have no clue how far I've gone. Any help would be appreciated - I hate to take out the cluster just to have the same used problem.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Smitty1 said:
hey raptor, thanks for your reply. My speedometer works well, wouldn't the speedometer not work if the speed senor was out? I've been told the gears are in the gauge cluster for the odometer and trip meter. Anyone had any experience with this?
Smitty
send mustangtk a PM.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
This happened to my 97 Mustang a week ago. Everything works EXCEPT the odometer and the trip odometer. The dealer says I need to replace the entire cluster, because the gears for the odometer broke. They said the plastic they're made of tends to get brittle and eventually break. The dealer wanted over $500 for the cluster.

I just ordered a cluster for a salvage dealer that Autozone works with, EverDrive, for $118.88 to include shipping to my house. It has a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty and takes about 5 business days to get delivered. The number on my receipt for them is 877-827-1188.

If you're not interested in that, then i have 2 other sites listed below for you.

http://www.simcoltd.com/shop/mustang/ - new aftermarket cluster

http://www.mrwhizard.com/services2.cfm - cluster repair

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yea i would really like to fix it on my 1994... Without spending alot of money on it...

·
Registered
119 Posts
If I remember, they have a great writeup with pictures and clearly written directions on how to do it.
I didn't use the new stuff from them when I did mine recently though. Just got a '97 odometer from the junkyard and installed it in the '95. Works great.

If doing it this way though, the '94 and '95 units are a direct no-mod swap for each other. Going to a '97/'98 module though, you have to trim some plastic around the odo housing because Ford used a different shape. Worked fine though, after a tiny bit of trimming.
Not sure where the '96 fits into the scheme of things, but more than likely is the same as the later ones, rather than the earlier ones.

Just another option, in case you need it.

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys. I had the same problem speedo works but not the odometer or trip meter. I went to ebay and found the replacement gear for both. The kit cost only about $40.00. Try it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.