Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 95 3.8. every thing is stock for now.
I just fixxed the head gasket. after driving it around the block i popped the hood and noticed the belt was off alignment and hanging off from the alternator pulley. after buying a new belt 2 hours later the same problem occured. Do you think it could be the tensioner?

·
Registered
140 Posts
very likely. when you put the new belt on did you notice if the tensioner had plenty of tension on it or did it seem too easy to pull or just stay wherever you put it? with the belt off check all the pulleys for play. if they wiggle excessively the bearings are going bad. this can make the belt walk off if it is bad enough. if thats the case replace the bad pulley/pump/tensioner. also double check to make sure you had the belt routed correctly. sometimes you can get belts on two different ways

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
It is an alignment issue. The tensioner is down by your AC pump, and the idler is just after the alternator. Check to make sure there are no cables located behind your alternator/power steering bracket that would allow it to stick out and not sit flush against the heads......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.