Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I need some help, Im interested in getting this 96 v6 with a blown motor, the guy also has a v8 4.6 dual overhead motor and tranny to go with it. What problems am I gonna have when im trying to drop the motor in? Main one is will the computer match up? Im not sure on the date of the 4.6 but im pretty sure its a 94-96 junkyard motor. What other issues could i have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and btw Im not the greatest stang mechanic, little to no experience but im not afraid to get my hands dirty lol

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
the computer for the 2v 4.6L will not work with a 4v, you'll need the wiring harness, theres a ton of other little things you'd need, it'd be much easier if you had an entire donor car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the computer for the 2v 4.6L will not work with a 4v, you'll need the wiring harness, theres a ton of other little things you'd need, it'd be much easier if you had an entire donor car.
Yea I was thinking the same, might hit up the junk yard and see whats out there.

R

·
0 Posts
You are going to need:
Engine, transmission, computer, wiring harness, fuel system, suspension, and a 8.8" rear end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just swaped out my 98-3.8 for a 96-4.6 ,I have got evrythang hooked up I even had to put a plug in the ECU termanal ,the problem Im having is that evry thing in the car comes on and works but when I turn the key to start I get nothing??I did get the engine to start bye puting a serwdriver betwine the starter wires.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
For the 96-98 MY, PATS will disable the starter. This gives a "no crank" symptom. In addition, the PATS system for the 98 and Cobra will also shut the motor off after a few seconds. This gives the "my car starts but shuts off after a few seconds".

The PATS on 99-04 when tripped will give a "crank but no start" symptom.

FWIIW, the 96-98 does NOT have an electronic cluster. Reprogramming the cluster is not required when changing. HOWEVER, the chip in the key DOES have to match what the PCM is expecting.

How to trouble shoot. Turn the key on but do not crank. Observe what the theft light does. It should go off after a 3 second "prove out". If not, STOP and find out why.

If the theft light does go out, then your no crank could be neutral safeties switches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts