Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car dyno tuned yesterday and he ended up gettin 300.6 hp and 342.1 ft/lbs. at the rear wheels. I have a k and n filter, a bbk 62mm throttle body, longtubes, off road h pipe and magnaflows and now a tune. I was just wondering what else could be done without rebuliding the bottom end to get it to about 350 hp at the wheels. And how many horsepower aftermarket cams would add? Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
342 torque? You sure about that? Aftermarket cams can add about 40 hp

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im pretty darn sure. The dyno sheets in my gallery if you wanna go look at it. I thought it was strangely high when i saw it myself for the first time as well. But it made close to that consistantly.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
well I don't see a number for torque, but looking at the graph I think you are more like 320, which would be more in line

·
Registered
806 Posts
well I don't see a number for torque, but looking at the graph I think you are more like 320, which would be more in line
yea 320 does sound bettter, maybe 325ish. I am still impressed you hit 300 to the wheels with just exhaust, and basically a drop in filter, i heard the throttle body doesnt really add horsepower. If you want to get to 350+ my next mods would be cams and a shortrunner intake. You can get a stage 1 ported intake from Pauls high perfromance for about 500 dollars i think. his stage 2 ported intakes will be about 1100 dollars. cams will add power but not alot unless you go big. A reagular comp cam will probably do nice or you could get a nice set of custom grind cams for about the same price. This should get you to 350 and some. After that though you are looking at about close to 3k just in intake and cam work. and this is before the labor. Good luck.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
the problem with cams is that they require hardened keepers and springs, so you have about $2000 in hardware and $700 in labor...pretty expensive for 40 hp...at that point, I"d be looking for C heads and intake or stepping up for a supercharger, this is what sux about mod motors...so expensive to mod, $2700 would put the best cam, intake and heads on a small block

·
Registered
806 Posts
the problem with cams is that they require hardened keepers and springs, so you have about $2000 in hardware and $700 in labor...pretty expensive for 40 hp...at that point, I"d be looking for C heads and intake or stepping up for a supercharger, this is what sux about mod motors...so expensive to mod, $2700 would put the best cam, intake and heads on a small block
Really 2k just in supoorting mods for the cams? damn i didnt think it would be that much. I was guessing around 1k or maybe a little more, then again with new cams you also have to get new cam gears, timing chains etc etc so 2k might actually be the least amount . I agree though that the c heads would be the best route to go, but the c heads are pretty expensive. if staying n/a i would get the fr500 heads, they are about 2200 for a pair of bare heads. the best all around heads would be the revised 03/04 cobra heads. Also if you have the money the gt supercar heads are great heads but they are 3k+ for a set. Look on MMR for some heads, they have a decent selection. i would start there for a price base research.

Back to you 2many, you said that it would be 700 in labor to install cams??? is that the price you were quoted? i was looking to drop a set of cams in my car but with work i dont think ill have the time to do it. I thought a cam install would have costed a little more. My car is currently getting ready for the 4.10's, 31 splin axle and diff. i also am putting on a set of magnapacks while i have everything down. and yes i agree mod motors are expensive.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
the cams cost $1200, remember you need 4 of them, then you need hardened keepers and new springs, $500 more, yes my tuner said $700 to install it all..you don't need new chains or anything else
I'm like you, after I weighed it all I found just buying a whole GT500 motor was the best move, that way I'll sell the motor/blower I have to finance most of it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
the cams cost $1200, remember you need 4 of them, then you need hardened keepers and new springs, $500 more, yes my tuner said $700 to install it all..you don't need new chains or anything else
I'm like you, after I weighed it all I found just buying a whole GT500 motor was the best move, that way I'll sell the motor/blower I have to finance most of it.
You selling the motor whole or parting it out? i might try to get that blower off you. I just dont like that the KB isnt intercooled. Thats why i might end up going with a procharger or a vortech. Let me know a price though. This is a project car for me, so im taking my time and just enjoying another mustang.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
it's gonna be awhile before I sell it, and yeah, I had no clue about intercooling or forged motors before I bought it...really I'd go single turbo if I didn't have my GT500 motor. I see tons of vortechs and prochargers coming off cars at my tuners shop, they have a high failure rate and are very inefficient. Almost all go turbo after that.

·
Registered
806 Posts
it's gonna be awhile before I sell it, and yeah, I had no clue about intercooling or forged motors before I bought it...really I'd go single turbo if I didn't have my GT500 motor. I see tons of vortechs and prochargers coming off cars at my tuners shop, they have a high failure rate and are very inefficient. Almost all go turbo after that.
yea turbos are nice, BUT i dont like the fact of drilling the oil pan, then going with a tubular k member and the exhaust work that goes with it. Do you really see alot of the centri blowers fail because of high boost or what??? i was going to go with a d1sc from procharger pushing mild boost at like 12 or 16 psi. nothing to much. i wont be maxing it out. The big problem i have heard about the centris is the belt slipping.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I believe they make turbos that are self contained, yeah a new k member is part of the deal...
The centris just blow up, I've just never been impressed with the quality or hp they make...
Another thing to consider is buying a whole termi engine...I saw a couple for really good prices on Ebay ($5000 ish), yesterday...that is where I got my GT500 motor and GT supercar blower

1 - 12 of 12 Posts