Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I change the oil on my car by myself, well I had to report to my unit and my wife took the car to go get the oil changed and the whole 9 yards that come with it. Ever since we got it back oil has been dripping out of the housing that the oil filter screws into. Looks to be almost where the metal housing mounts to the engine. What parts would i need to stop the leak? Is it just the gasket or seal? Much help would be appreciated because im driving around some purple low rider truck right now and would love my mustang back, thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I change the oil on my car by myself, well I had to report to my unit and my wife took the car to go get the oil changed and the whole 9 yards that come with it. Ever since we got it back oil has been dripping out of the housing that the oil filter screws into. Looks to be almost where the metal housing mounts to the engine. What parts would i need to stop the leak? Is it just the gasket or seal? Much help would be appreciated because im driving around some purple low rider truck right now and would love my mustang back, thanks for the help in advance!
It's just the gasket! I did mine last week. I bought the gasket at latemodelrestoration. The part may be different for 1996 but mine is 2004. It's called Oil filter adapter gasket. It has 4 bolts of 15 mm if i remember correctly (torque spec is 18 ft/lbs). It cost about $20. When you receive it may says only say 4V application but on the web it should say Oil Filter Adapter Gasket 2V 4V.
The procedures are: Drain Oil, Drain Radiator (you dont necessary need to drain coolant from the engine bedding) but it's good to do at the same time. Unscrew the oil filter. (The manual and most ppl recommends to unscrew the oil pressure sensor to take the Oil Filter Adapter off). Unscrew 4 bolts and remove the oil broken gasket. There should be 4 holes. Clean it thoroughly, both surfaces. Install the new gasket, bolt back the 4 bolts with torque spec. Fill oil, and then fill coolant.
That should fix the leakage. It's a common problem on the SN95
If you decide to remove the oil pressure sensor. It bolt back in 2 steps. I remember it's 48 ft lbs and then an 1/8 additional turn. I have to double check on that torque spec for the OPS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much man! Will let you know how it goes or if I run into any problems, thanks again! Your a lifesaver

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Note the 1996 GT MY has an oil cooler that the later MY's don't have. IMO it's likely that the oil cooler is leaking from the large O-ring that separates the two halves. If this were my car I would replace the block to oil filter adapter gasket as well as the O-ring. This will avoid having to re-do the work twice.

The replacement O-ring may be difficult to find.

There's a large Allen bolt through the center of the oil cooler that has to be removed to gain access to the O-ring seal.

It's also possible to remove the oil cooler and replace the oil filter adapter with a later model unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 1996 4.6L Mustang GT with the same problem and tried following suggestions, but I can't get to the rear bolt. My bolts are 10mm. I've tried crows foot, wrenches and a lot of swear words. None of which have worked. But I think the forum gave me an idea. The exploded view shows that the adapter actually breaks down into basically halves. So its ok to take it apart. Numbers on the adapter are 62E and below that is 88846E. Any suggestions are appreciated. I'll post step-by-step instructions and hopefully pictures once I get this fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts