Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recentley installed a ram powergrip clutch in my gt , i noticed my clutch cable was ajusted all the way out so i ordered a new steeda ajustable cable but also notcied that mine was already aftermarket as was the quardrant and the cable was still adjusted all the way out but i figure i would let it ride till the new cable come in .. bad ideal pull out of my favorite store near my hous floor it snatch second and nothing really happend fells like it is still in first come to a stop and let the clutch out with the shifter in neutral and the car moves foward ,, put it in reverse and let clutch out and the car bogs down till it dies ???? so im at a lose .. i just pulled my old cable out and the new one will be here tommorrow ... o yea and now moving the shifter from first to second is super soft and all other shifts are normal .. any ideal wat i broke in my tranny if anythang ??? sorry for the long post . and i apologize for my spelling just learning to use the internet

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
It kind of sounds like clutch issue not transmission. :scratchchin
Does the transmission shift into gear with the engine off? If so, you can eliminate the tranny as the culprit.

I wouldn't start thinking the worst until you've had a chance to install the new cable, adjust the clutch properly and try it again.

When you adjust the clutch, general rule of thumb is set the gap between the face of the T/O bearing and the fingers on the pressure plate at a minimum of 1/8" to a max of 1/4" with the clutch pedal all the way up at the rest position. :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
that was the same problem with the transmission i just ripped outta my car... it turned out mine was the z links and an ear on one of the synchro forks was busted off and not guiding the synchro in a straight line which prolly snapped the z link that shifts the tranny when u do... but thats just exactly what happened to me is all... and DONT put it any other gear other than 1st or neutral cuz u could end up chewin up synchros and bearings if it is the tranny..... and dont try reverse either cuz essentially if its the same as mine, then u have 1st and reverse in gear at the same time... REALLY BAD IDEA if u still ahve good guts to the tranny and just need to have the z links replaced....
however, i hope its just ur clutch or cable... i was able to repair my own transmission by tearing down repairing and re assembling... i dunno if u can do the same...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it turned out to be the one to two shift fork broke due to lack of tranny lube lol i noticed the tranny gettin a lil hot but i guess it was enough for that fork to give up and my clutch cable was from a fox body car the new steeda one i got is much longer and fits very well but the tranny has got to come out no ethier way .. thanks guys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my 1 to 2 shift fork will be in tommorrow .. i hope it isnt to hard to install my tranny guy said if i can put a clutch in i can do this any thaoughts or help to doing this install

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i would give u a write up as to how to tear apart and fix ur tranny with pics but my dad didnt give me the time to take pics to help out :( the only thing is, i used special tools i fabricated to get certain bearings and stuff out and then special press style ideas to press them back on... and if it is the 1st to 2nd shift fork, i DO believe thats the one furthest in the case *correct me if im wrong rich* starting from the tailshaft i do believe is 5th and reverse and then 3rd and 4th are on the opposite side heading in, then 1st to 2nd shift fork is behind those gears once u press those off.... lots of C clips and pressed on pieces... but i dunno if the statement "if u can put a clutch in, you can repair your transmission" is accurate... i wouldnt have been able to do it if it werent for my dad, so i dunno man...its pretty much a reallly really touchy 4 wheel drive hub assembly so if u have ever done one of those before, its about 3x as complicated and u need dial guages and stuff to make sure everything is lined up right lol cuz they put the bearing and races in with shims soooo ya ummm it would be a good learnin experience for u but dont expect the "repaired" transmission to last forever... if u have 800-1400 bucks i would reccommend buying a really good T45 from rich's work (that keisler logo) if u click the little house below his avatar u will be able to get to their website...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats sucks cause the guy i talked to asurred me that it wasnt hard to do ..but i guess if it is to difficult i will take it somewhere to have it done

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
if ur on a budget big time only got like 300-400 to spend on a tranny, check craigslist and bring a big guy with ya for back up when u go and pick it up lol but if u have about 850 to spend i would go with the good one that Keisler offers...im sure its a really good tranny as their techs are extrememly smart :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
603 Posts
yea try the realse bearing or the shifter fork

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.