Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I have a 96 A/T V-6 that I have owned for only about 6months. Shortly after buying it I noticed it was misfiring at warm idle and the check engine light came on. I had it checked at Autozone and it showed #2 cylinder misfire. I replaced the coil, plugs and wires and added some prem. gas and a bottle of lucas to clean out the system. Code cleared, misfire stopped!
So over the last few months, anytime I got down to about 1/4 of a tank of gas and romped on it to pass someone, it would start misfiring at idle again. I added more cleaner and prem. gas, checked plugs and wires and then it would clear up on its own.
Since it did this several times, I figured it had to be the fuel filter and maybe some crud was getting kicked up, so I have now replaced that as well. As of last week the misfiring is back and now the previous "fixes" aren't working to clear it up. I bought a new injector but I really am hoping it doesn't come to that (taking the fuel rail off is not something I want to do). I haven't checked the compression yet but it seems to be ok.
The misfire is only at warm idle; it smooths out when I am driving. The plugs are gapped correctly, there doesn't seem to be any arcing... Any suggestions would be sooooo appreciated!!

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Have you pulled the plug on that particular cylinder to see if it is firing? That would be the first step. Also, start the car and pull that plug wire from the coilpack and see if the idle changes. If it does not, then you either have a bad wire or injector. But pull the plug first, then swap wires with #1 and #2 and see if the misfire changes to #1......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the post, Shinerstang! Today I checked the MAF sensor... it looks like the last owner switched out the original for one that is supposed to be on a 5.0! Not sure how or why the heck they would do that. I will definitely do as you suggest though, and post what I find! :D Thank you again, I really appreciate you taking the time to try to help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.