Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Ford 5 speeds are interchangable with a 1996 Mustang 5 speed transmission? And what years of Mustangs are interchangable with the 96?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
What Ford 5 speeds are interchangable with a 1996 Mustang 5 speed transmission? And what years of Mustangs are interchangable with the 96?
You can use parts from a 97' and a 98' with the same size motor as yours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rebuild or not?

My 96' has a 5 speed but I just tore it apart yesterday and found that the front top and bottom gears were completely rounded off thus leaving me with only 4th gear. Would it be cheaper to fix this tranny or just by a used one? I heard that someone in my position could use a ranger 5 speed but my father told me there were like 11 different ranger transmissions. Can anyone shine some light on the subject?

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
I guess I could "shine" some light on you. Mostly all T5's will fit your car. C4's with large bell housings, and anything from a 5.0 or 302 have the same bolt pattern. Beware of using the 5.0 or 302 clutches, they are a different size(10.5") than our 11" clutches. You would need to swap out both the clutch and flywheel if doing so. You would also need to make sure the balance weights are the same as well.......

Be sure to get your flywheel resurfaced if you're going to change out the clutch as well. I would purchase another clutch kit and replace your rear main seal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.