Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought a 1996 cobra and i have about one inch of play in the steering wheel before the wheels turn. The dealer says it's normal. I don't like it. My 95 Gt is tight. Both inner and outer tie rod ends are good, ball joints good, steering rack not leaking, do not know about the steering shaft. Car has 84,000 miles on it. Any one had similar experiences with play in there steering wheel? Being the perfectionist i am, i'll replace the complete rack and shaft if i have too.
Thank you for any response'
Sweet95GT Plus Sweet96Black Cobra

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have the same problem in my 95 cobra. I will be trying to figure it out this weekend. If I find anything I'll let you know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wheel play

Thank you V6. I'll do some more research also. It is tiresome to hold the wheel and shift through the gears with that amount of play and every body keeps telling me it's normal.
sweet96BlackCobra
sweet95GT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replace the steering shaft. That's what fixed my , after the fact I replaced the rack and pinion for nothing. But it probly would hurt to change to Bushing for the rack and pinion.
I got under the car and tested the play in the shaft and said to myself "that's not much" damn was i wrong. I have a 97 cobra and got an 01 v6 shaft and to my amazement it fit and most of all "it's tight".I got my from a junkyard. Rusty Acres in Jacksonville ,Fl
Rusty Acres, North Florida's Largest Ford/Lincoln/Mercury recycle center -a VBODesigns.com site design!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have play in the steering in my 97 cobra.I have replaced the tie rods,control arms,rack and pinion(with new bushings),shocks all around,new upper and lower control arms in the rear end,four new tires and finally castor chamber plates.I still have a small amount of play which I think is in the rag joint on the steering shaft so next is a new steering shaft.I checked it before i started replacing parts but it is the only thing left to change.It will be great to have that instant response and no dead on center feel.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Wow looks like I forgot to reply on this thread. My bad. If it is any help to anyone I believe I have to replace the steering shaft. I'm not 100% sure but I will be getting to the bottom of it soon. I will be getting the car back in a week and i'll start working on the little things wrong with it.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
had that happen to my 05, it was due to me removing the steering shaft when i was installing headers, and was a little off on the install. took the shaft out, made sure the steering wheel was in the right position and installed the shaft and it fixed it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
99 Cobra Steering Problems

I went through the same issue with my 99 Cobra. I replaced the lower steering shaft with a Flamming River one, and also replaced the rubber rack & pinion bushings with some aluminum Maximum Motorsports ones. It worked for a little while and then my steering developed a click when turning left or right along with some more play in the steering. The shop looked at it again and said that there is a steering knuckle with a cotter pin in it that needed to be tightened up and adjusted, since that was done I have not had any more problems. My Rack is getting worn though and I want to replace it with the new Flamming River rack, but the kit is about $860 so i will have to wait.

G

·
Yes, replace the steering shaft with an MM piece. Also replace the rubber rack bushings with MM aluminum bushings.
Other than that, if you're lowered install the correct length swaybar endlinks.
PM me for 5% off MM parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
r&p play

My 87 suddenly developed steering wheel play. Tie rod ends and ball joints were tight. Thanks for the idea of checking the steering knuckle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The bad thing about the older steering shafts is that the rag joint wears out over time and can develop play in the steering. Sadly, it's just something that happens with the shaft. I had to replace mine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
what make of steering shafts do you recommend? glad i looked at this thread, my 94 has a good bit of play and i was ready to start throwing parts at it lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i have the same problem, i replaced the steering shaft, rack and pinion and tie rods and it seemed to be slight play for a while but now its back

Hi,im having the same problem.i replaced the rack,steering shaft, and tie rods but no luck. im lost at this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Response

I had the same problem on my 1997 cobra, looks that when using a wider tire than OEM, steering get hurts with time.
I replaced the rack and pinion system and that was it. Eventually, because I use sometimes 265 or 275 in front, I will need to replace it again, specially because my reptile crawls in Mexican streets.
Victor.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think it's the Rag joint too, I have a 89 Mustang GT, and I do not even know where to purchase a rag joint, or do you have to buy the solid shafts so you eliminate the rag joint.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yes, get a maximum motorsports shaft, much better/tighter, get the bushings as well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts