Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up

my aunt had a 1996 mustang gt which just got flood damage due to hurricane katrina and the insurance company is paying her the totaled value and for 900.00 i can buy the car from her

the driver side fender needs replacment

she drove it back to her house and she said it felt like the gears were sliping so its very possible water got into the tranny

its an auto

black leather seats the carpet was dry to the touch when i checked it out but i may end up just puting new carpet in it

so heres how i figure it

worse case i need to get the transmission rebuilt and replace the carpet and fender pluss 900.00

or i can change the tranmission fluid and it will run fine

my fathers a machinist to if i do get it rebuilt it will be done right through someone who does work for the shop he works at and we will be doing all the labor

i was thinking would it be hard to get all the peices and convert it to a 5spd

let me know what yall think

this is a big upgrade from a 92 sentra 1.6l

pics from start to finish will be added if thats ok

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
ok, drain and replace ALL the fluids. Tranny, Oil, Differential, brake and Coolant. Once this is done ass some gas line antifreeze to your gas tank to get any water that may be in your system out. Search www.stangparts.com or www.cjponyparts.com for a replacement fender. In the mean time, keep an eye on your temperature guage after the fluids change. If it starts to act spuratically then check your coolant level.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
As long as the engine is in good shape it sounds like a pretty good deal. Change all the fluids as stated above and really keep an eye on the temperature and oil pressure gauges. If they start fluttering around, get it to a shop and have it looked at ASAP. The tranny swap isn't incredibly hard from what I've heard. Good luck and let us know if we can help any more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thnaks

lcurle thanks for the helpful info ill let my dad take a look at what you said and see what he thinks hes a machinist

and BlueStreak03

we will not be taking the car to a mechanic shop we are the mechanic shop
but thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey lcurle

that first website was great i may up seeing if i can just buy all the parts needed to convert to a 5spd..

if i need my tranny rebuilt and if the price is decent

if not i will wait until i get my career job them buy the parts and probley supercharge it in the future but for now im probley just going to get it running nice and maybe swap to 5spd if i can

but that was some cool information you got me
thanks

if i ever decide to buy some boltons ill ask you where to find them

i gave my aunt the 900.00 so the cars mine
ill have to drive in an hour to get it to my house i plan on at least changing the oil and tranny fluid before the trip

i try and get the car in 5th and cruise at a low rpm

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gas line antifreeze

thats a good idea whats a good brand ill have to order off the internet because i live in louisiana and they dont have gas line antifreeze

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.